and the One who walks with me on it.

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Always Moving

       This universe repeatedly amazes me; its intricacy and the uniqueness of all its components boggle my mind.  Life is always moving around us in the people, plants, animals; in ourselves, our many body systems and cells; in the earth, its plates, the air, water flowing; in space orbiting, spinning, expanding and contracting.  What incredible complexity the Creator has produced.

       Lately it seems there are a lot of changes happening inside of me; I’m sure others aren’t noticing it nearly as much as I do, but it seems to be a continual thing.  I guess that’s good because I’m so far from perfect that there are a lot of changes that need to be done!

       It has always been my belief that the two greatest abilities of man are to learn and change.  From the day we are born to the day we die we continue to learn more and more.  How do you know not to touch a hot burner?  At some point you learned from someone else (hopefully) or by first hand experience (ouch!).  So that knowledge caused a change in you as you are no doubt careful around hot burners. 

       Now, my mother would say, “I’m too old to change…” but the truth is we are never too old to change, just too old to want or choose to change.  Occasionally after an incident occurs in our lives, negative changes may occur, but at the same time we also undergo improvements.  No two people enduring the same experience will come out of it the same on the other side.  And so like life all around us, we are constantly moving, learning and changing.

       Sometimes we don’t want to change and when that happens but we know we need to, then is the time to pray like this, "Lord, I don’t really want to change this, but I want to want to change this.  Please help me to want to change."  Yes, I have first hand experience that a prayer like this works.  At one time I could care less if my house was ever clean, so I often prayed it.  I may never be a ‘neat freak’ now, but overall I want the house to be reasonably clean most of the time.  If you aren’t moving forward, you’re going to fall back.

        The Serenity Prayer includes the "courage to change the things I can" and so we should try to continue to change for the better all the days of our lives and pray for God’s assistance in our attempt while allowing Him to change us too; and He will, especially as we spend quality time with Him.* Truly, I have found the biggest, best and most enduring changes in my life have been those changes the Lord has done in me. I’m so glad I’m not the person I used to be!  Thank You Lord!  I choose to move to improve.
     



*2 Cor. -18- But whenever someone turns to the Lord, the veil is taken away. For the Lord is the Spirit, and wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. So all of us who have had that veil removed can see and reflect the glory of the Lord. And the Lord—who is the Spirit—makes us more and more like him as we are changed into his glorious image.
Rom. 12:2- Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.  NLT