and the One who walks with me on it.

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Six Days of What?

       It was 1989 and we had just received the crushing news that we would never be able to become parents naturally.  At first it was not too bad.  After all, I had a God who was more than capable of any miracle needed, and He loved me ‘cause I’m His little girl’.  Month after month I believed He would do a miraculous healing and we would conceive, and month after month the evidence proved otherwise and a few days of depression would ensue.  After a year my faith failed and I shut out my Lord.  Why didn’t He heal?  Why didn’t He hear my cry?  I had so many whys.

       For my husband and myself, it was a very long wait to have children, well over six years from when we wanted to start and it certainly didn’t arrive the way we expected.  It took a homestudy, exposing our pasts and present, a few thousand dollars, and A LOT of waiting to finally have a daughter bless our lives.  We did not enjoy the wait; nobody I know loves to wait, but at some point of our lives we all have to do it. 

       So, I’m reading this morning in Exodus about Moses.  He and a bunch of people went up into the mountain, they saw God, and they ate.  (Ex. 24:9-11)  God commanded Moses to come to Him and so Moses and Joshua went up. (v. 13)  One question of many I have for this part of scripture is this:  it says, “And the glory of the Lord rested upon Mt. Sinai and the cloud covered it six days; the seventh day he called to Moses from the cloud.” (v. 16 TLB)  So… God calls Moses up, and then what...  He makes Moses wait. 
(It totally blows away the ‘and God rested on the seventh day’ thing!)

       What did Moses do for those six days?  He’d just seen God, ate in front of Him, gets called up and goes to Him just to wait around for the next- oh, um, 6 days or 144 hours.  Did he pray and fast?  Did he rest and relax?  Did he shoot the fat with Joshua and build campfires?  Did he sit there wondering what God was waiting for?  Was he impatient at waiting, or was he calm and cool?  I guess I won’t know until I meet him, but I do know it was worth the wait.  Moses was in the presence of God forty days and nights while God gave him direction.  Who wouldn’t love that?

       I hope someday to trust my Lord so completely that I can wait patiently whenever He wants me to wait.


Is. 40:31- But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.  KJV