and the One who walks with me on it.

Saturday, March 26, 2011

The Laundry

       There it was, my defenseless clothing being pulled under by that bully in the white tub of my basement, you know, the one with the really aggressive sounding name.  Ah, that’s right, it’s called the agitator.  Its sole purpose in life is to agitate the dirty laundry so as to help promote their cleaning.  (Whoever thought that something with such negative connotations could work out something so beneficial?)

       You ever try to avoid a little lesson the Lord’s trying to whisper in your ear?  This was one of them…  Okay, okay, so a little agitation in my life might bring out some good in me; knock a few chips off my shoulders, jiggle some of the dirt out of my fabric…  Just remember Lord, if I were constantly in the agitator I would become threadbare; it would wear me out!  I get the point though.

       When I was young I was pretty judgmental.  It was the ‘agitator’ of infertility that knocked some of that off and helped me to learn compassion for others who are all struggling in their own trials of life.  Big- necessary lesson!!!  Waiting so many years for children helped me learn a lot about myself, my own weaknesses, and my lack of true faith in which I had previously thought myself so strong.  It also assisted me in understanding our sovereign Lord.  Every trial I have been through has agitated more and more ‘dirt’ out of my life, thereby becoming a beneficial factor in my journey.

       I do not find it enjoyable or a thrill when facing trials and tribulation, and I often still try to convince the Lord to ‘snap His fingers’ and get me out of it, but eventually (usually after the fact) I realize it has caused me to grow and change by shaking more dirt out of me.  The end result of walking through the mess with or without the Lord is change.  I just think that with the Lord there is more opportunity for positive growth.  He will use the bad for good* and help us become the people He wants us to be**.  Hence my lessons in laundry are welcomed.


Lord, help me to remain in Your peace when I face adversity in my journey….
and to remember You walk with me as I face all the agitators- whether things or people- that work more of the grime out of my life.




*Rom   And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.  KJV
**Rom 5:2b-5  …we confidently and joyfully look forward to actually becoming all that God has had in mind for us to be.  We can rejoice, too, when we run into problems and trials for we know that they are good for us- they help us learn to be patient.  And patience develops strength of character in us and helps us trust God more each time we use it until finally our hope and faith are strong and steady.  Then when that happens, we are able to hold out heads high no matter what happens and know that all is well, for we know how dearly God loves us