and the One who walks with me on it.

Thursday, October 16, 2014

A Surprising Question

       Sitting at the Thanksgiving table with my son’s brother, I was finally able to catch up with what he was doing in his life and his new journey into post secondary education.  It was a few minutes later I heard my son’s voice beside me saying something like, “Mom, I have a question and I want an honest answer without a lot of religious talk.”  Well, that peaked my interest because it seems like neither of the boys are interested in the ‘God stuff’.  His question was similar to one the disciples asked Jesus long ago as they left the Temple one day.

And what shall be the sign of Your coming, and of the end of the world?  Mt. 24:3

       My son asked if I thought the end of the world would be in our lifetime.  Well, the answer most people give, even among some Christians, is that people have been saying the end is soon for a very long time and it hasn’t come yet.  My personal belief is that it will surely come in our lifetime (my generation or theirs).  I also admit I could be wrong...  Would I predict a date?  Never.  It’s not my place nor has God told me a specific date.  But the Lord does speak about birthpangs.

Fake Christs, wars, rumours of wars, nations & kingdoms against each other, famines, pestilences, and earthquakes;
All these are the beginning of sorrows. Mt. 24:8 (also Mr. 13:8)
For when they shall say, Peace and safety! Then sudden destruction comes on them, as travail upon a woman with child. And they shall not escape. 1Th. 5:3

       So Jesus speaks of these things that we say ‘have been happening for a long time’, but says they are the beginning of sorrows or birth pangs.  Now, I haven’t experienced that myself, but I have been told (and seen on tv) that when the baby is ready to be born, travail or labour begins.  In the early stages, contractions are longer apart and lighter (10-20min apart, lasting 30-60s).  Then in the active stage the contractions become regular and form a pattern of increasing frequency that is progressively stronger (3-5min apart, lasting 60-90s).

       At the transition stage “pushing”, the hardest and most intense contractions happen.  They are much closer, (1-3min apart, lasting 90-120s).  Friends say it feels like the contractions are one on top of another.  Fortunately, this stage lasts the shortest time or probably women would give up bearing children altogether!

       So if we go by that logic, then we should be looking at the timing, frequency, duration and strength of the fakes, wars, rumours, famines, pestilences, and earthquakes…  I cannot quote you what I have read, but it all points to faster timing and frequency, longer duration and stronger and bigger ‘issues’.  Think about beheadings, natural disasters, diseases (ebola), wars, wickedness increasing…  Eventually it’s going to get so bad that if the Lord didn’t shorten it, no one would survive (Mt. 24:22).

       My point in all this is the Lord Himself says we don’t have to be troubled/ frightened about the end, “…See that you are not troubled…” (Mt. 24:6)  Remember, Jesus has overcome the world (Jh. 16:33), death and the grave (1Cr. 15:55-57)

Therefore watch; for you do not know what hour your Lord comes. Mt. 24:42
Watch therefore, praying in every season that you may be counted worthy to escape all these things which shall occur, and to stand before the Son of Man. Lk. 21:36
Therefore let us not sleep as the rest do, but let us watch and be calm. 1Th. 5:6
Behold, I am coming as a thief. Blessed is the one who watches and keeps his garments, lest he walk naked and they see his shame. Rv. 16:15 (words of Jesus in red)

What we have to do is three fold: 
Don’t be worried… Be ready
-be born again, pray, continue to repent & ask forgiveness daily
Don’t sleep
-(lie down to rest/ sleep/ be indifferent)
-keeping garments speak of covering nakedness/ shame/ sin- done with the robe of righteousness given to us by Jesus because of His redemption.  (Is. 61:10; Rv. 7:9; 19:7,8; 22:14; Zc. 3:1-5)
Watch.