and the One who walks with me on it.

Tuesday, July 01, 2014

Pulled in Two Places

       At various times in my adult life I wanted to be elsewhere:  P.E.I., the Rockies, alone in a cabin somewhere, with friends on a beach, with my hubby in Hawaii, a warm beach in the Caribbean, climbing the Mayan temple, watching the sunset over the pyramids, roaming the hills of Scotland, walking through the buildings of Petra…  That list is virtually endless.  It’s funny though because, with the exception of P.E.I., I always want to return home within a few weeks, like there are two places I want to be at the same time.  And that is how it is today.

       At some times of my life I have wanted to be with my Father, literally, physically with Him.  Surprisingly half the time is when life is going well, but I know what is in store there and the longing in my heart to see Him face to face is overwhelming.  I’m ready to go anytime my purpose for Him is fulfilled and my race complete.  On the other hand, half the time I want to be here to continue watching my children grow and change, but also to fulfill God’s plan for me here which I believe will be to help others find life in Him.

       So I’m pulled toward Heaven and pulled toward earth.  Many times one place is pulling me more, but then it switches again.  Paul understood the desire for Heaven:

For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. For indeed in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed with our dwelling-place out of Heaven; if indeed in being clothed, we shall not be found naked. For we who are in this tabernacle groan, being burdened; inasmuch as we do not wish to be unclothed, but to be clothed, so that the mortal might be swallowed up by the life. And He who has worked in us for this same thing is God, who also is giving to us the earnest of the Spirit. Then being always confident, knowing that while we are at home in the body, we are away from home from the Lord; for we walk by faith, not by sight; then we are confident and we are pleased rather to go away from home out of the body, and to come home to the Lord. 2Cr. 5:1-8 

        Paul knows as John did that in this body, this earthly house or tabernacle (1Cr. 6:19), we are the abode of God.  “Jesus answered and said to him, If a man loves Me, he will keep My Word. And My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our abode with him.(Jh. 14:23)  One day these bodies, these abodes of God will be exchanged for heavenly abodes.  Now we are groaning with burdens as unclothed, but then we shall be clothed and death shall be swallowed up by life.  But we have the assurance that one day we will come home to be with the Lord forever (Mt. 28:20).

       Until then I am content to be where the Lord wants me to be- right here in body on planet earth, ready and willing to do His will.  Whatever I can for the kingdom of God: kicking the kingdom of the enemy out and giving a helping hand to others to come in.  No matter where I am I wish to please Him, to press forward in His will for my life by doing the works He wishes me to do.

Therefore we are also laboring to be well-pleasing to Him, whether at home or away from home.  2Cr. 5:9
My brothers, I do not count myself to have taken possession, but one thing I do, forgetting the things behind and reaching forward to the things before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. Php. 3:13,14
Truly, truly, I say to you, He who believes on Me, the works that I do he shall do also, and greater works than these he shall do, because I go to My Father. Jh. 14:12

Lord, I desire to do much for You, but the truth is that I cannot do any of it without You abiding in me, teaching me, helping me, guiding me, and giving me Your strength to move forward. 

(But Lord, when You’re ready for me, I’m all set to go!!!)
J