and the One who walks with me on it.

Thursday, June 26, 2014

Graduation Day

       Four years of driving my son to his city bus stop and picking him up after so he could attend an out of district arts school, my son is finally graduating high school.  Tonight I get to watch him walk across a stage and receive a rolled up blank piece of paper, the symbol of his diploma that he’ll receive later, shake a few hands, flip his tassel, probably do something funny, and walk off the stage.  For a parent, this is a huge milestone as we are the ones who dealt with the complaints about homework, studying, and all the other myriad of school issues over the years.  But I have no complaint because he finished well, even getting 90’s in a couple courses.

       This day will be busy for us.  I have a study to attend, an afternoon visiting with my awesome mom in law, and a rushed evening of getting to the ceremony with everyone involved.  I’m wondering if it will seem that kind of rushed on the day we graduate from this earth to the eternal kingdom our Lord has prepared for us.

Let not your heart be troubled. You believe in God, believe also in Me. In My Father's house are many mansions (3438); if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself, so that where I am, you may be also. Jh 14:1-3
Jesus answered and said to him, If a man loves Me, he will keep My Word. And My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our abode (3438) with him. Jh. 14:23

       There are only two places the Greek word mone is used and they are both in John 14.  The word means staying, abode or dwelling as in a place these take place.  So here we find out that Jesus has prepared a place for us somewhere other than here, but while we are still on earth and born again, they come and make a place to be in us!  Wow!  Even before we ‘graduate’ from this corrupt system in which we live, the Creators of the universe come to live in us.

       After we are finished with this corrupt and troubled place, there is a new incorruptible place prepared for us to go.  When we finish the fight, this course (2Tm. 4:7), and run this race (Hb. 12:1) so that we may obtain the prize (1Cr. 9:24), we have an eternal home with the Godhead in which we will live… eternally with them, not just ‘in our hearts’ but ‘in the flesh’ or our new incorruptible flesh that is.  So one day between the now and the then, we will graduate from this place of stress and work and be able to see how it is worth all the effort and strain over the years to obtain the prize.  And we won’t be ‘walking off this stage’ with a blank piece of paper, but with the most valuable prize ever- eternity face to face with our Beloved Father, Son and Spirit.

       Lord of glory, help all Your children run with You beside us constantly, cheered on by those before us so that we may live with You eternally where sin abides no more, and graduate this place to hear the words “Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful over a few things; I will make you ruler over many things. Enter into the joy of your lord.
(Mt. 25:21,23)