and the One who walks with me on it.

Sunday, April 27, 2014

Two ½ Weeks

       It’s been over two weeks since I stopped exercising.  The first half was because by neck and shoulders tensed up so bad that I started taking anti inflammatory pills and believed the running would make the situation worse.  Then I got sick and could barely walk let alone run.  (Of course, breathing is necessary to run and when I tried to breath I had coughing fits.)  I’m still recuperating from that one so hopefully tomorrow- all is good to go.

       It’s been years since I didn’t exercise six days a week.  Every morning I get up and complain (in my head) about having to do it, but I do it anyway.  Oh wait, last year there was a few weeks in June when my lungs went kabluey…  Anyway, you’d think I’m looking forward to starting again, but not so.  To me exercise is necessary but not fun.  It’s okay though, because I’ll do it anyway.  Nothing makes you health motivated like a couple rounds of chemo.

       I have noticed that I don’t feel as physically capable of getting done what I need to everyday.  While a part of that is due to being sick, the other part is lack of exercise.  Found this really great list of the benefits of exercise most of which I never even considered:
      -Exercise keeps arteries malleable, flexible.
      -Losing as little as 6.5% weight improves blood pressure, glucose, cholesterol levels.
Mustard seed
      -Prevents fat in mid section (belly) that contributes to 
       diabetes.
      -also prevents damaged blood vessels, heart and liver 
       disease, Alzheimer’s.
      -Lifts your mood by increasing serotonin.
      -Can be social activity which is known for increased 
        happiness.
      -Strength training improves bone strength, prevents 
       osteoporosis.
      -Strength training and flexibility prevent physical injuries.
      -Team sports enhance hand-eye coordination, reflexes.
      -Tones your muscles, makes you leaner.
www.methodisthealth.com

       Exercising our faith is quite the same.  If we decide not to do it one day it won’t kill us but it becomes easier to miss the next day as well.  That becomes two or three days.  Pretty soon, all the excuses come out of the closet:  I’m too busy, too tired, too afraid, too anything… 

God has dealt to every man the measure of faith. Rm. 12:3 (see also Ep. 2:8)

And the apostles said to the Lord, Give us more faith. And the Lord said, If you had faith as a grain of mustard seed, you might say to this sycamine tree, Be rooted up and be planted in the sea! And it would obey you. Lk. 17:5,6
Then faith is of hearing, and hearing by the Word of God. Rm. 10:17
But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him. Hb. 11:6

told this is a mustard tree
       According to Scripture, God has given each of us an amount of faith.  It doesn’t matter how much it is, we can increase it.  The disciples tried asking Jesus for more faith, but His reply indicates they don’t need more, they just need a tiny bit and since God has given every man a measure, we each have at least a bit!  Instead, what they needed to do was use it.  We must put ourselves out there and use that faith: to pray for a sick person, give to someone in need, tell a person about Jesus, visit a shut in, call a distant friend.  Muscles not used atrophy; muscles used become stronger.

       Read the Word, listen to the Word, meditate on it day and night.  This will increase our faith because the more we read with Holy Spirit understanding, the more we know God, the more we trust God and have faith IN HIM.  We will also increase faith by diligently seeking Him.  That’s not a quick ‘hello’ in the morning and forgetting Him the rest of the day, but a thorough, careful with attention to detail going after Him, to know Him more and be more like Him- ALL DAY LONG.  Just like when we were in love wanting every moment to be with that person- to learn everything about them.

exercising faith
       But the biggest thing imo is using the faith that we have.  “Use it or lose it” isn’t found in the Bible per se, but the meaning is; in Mt. 25:14-30 and the parable of the talents.  God gives ALL of us talents according to our abilities, but we can’t be so afraid to use them that we bury them (v.25).  If He gave them to us we are ABLE to use them for His glory.  To do or say less is calling Him a liar.  I don’t wanna do that!

       On a personal note, when I stopped saying, “I’ll pray for you,” walking away and keep them in my prayers, but rather started saying, “Let’s pray right now, is that okay?” that an amazing thing happened.  Prayers got answered.  Not because my faith was so great, not because my prayers were so good or perfect and not because I’m any more special than anyone else.  Simply put, God moved because His child prayed and He wanted to move- it’s all on Him, about Him and because of Him.  His power, not mine.  That’s the way it should be!