and the One who walks with me on it.

Monday, March 17, 2014

Backwards Through the Ten Commandments- #1


       When my fiancĂ© and I stood before the pastor to say our wedding vows there was an implied statement included:  I am your wife.  You will have no other wives before or after me.  See, I’m not a polygamist and though I think some things would be great (let the other wives cook, clean and I’ll fix and teach) it would never work.  I don’t want his attention to be divided between a few of us.  After all, if his heart is divided between a few of us, it cannot be wholly mine.

1.  I am Jehovah (the existing one, eternal) your God (ruler, God), You shall have no other gods before (the presence or the face of) Me. Ex. 20:3,4
I am Jehovah, and there is none else, no God besides Me… Is. 45:5
Before Me no God was formed, nor shall there be after Me. I, I am Jehovah; and there is none to save besides Me.  Is. 43:10,11

       In beginning the commandments, God starts with a most important statement.  “I am Jehovah God.”  So as you read it follows that those who believe in this God will accept these ‘rules’.  “I am the eternal and existing one,” He says, “We (elohim the plural of God) are your ruler” or one that governs- as a king.   Herein is the most important of all decisions.  Do we believe in the very nature of Jehovah- who He is, and have we accepted His rule over us and our lives?

       There is to be no other God but Him.  Since the second commandment speaks of having no idols, how does this one differ?  There is the preliminary statement included, but also this one is the core of our actions toward this One we believe in.  Do we make Him the sole aim of all our actions, devote ourselves wholly to Him, and yield our hearts and affections completely to Him?  Do we have ardent love or affection for Him that is manifest by constant attention and an earnest eagerness to be with Him?

       Or is God just another ‘Joe Blo’ in our lives that we can forget about when we want to but include Him if it appeals to us?  Once ‘married’ to Him, we’ve got to be all in (don’t we expect that of our spouses?)  Wholly, completely in, not half hearted with the rest of us given over to lust of another- like the world, our own selfish desires… 

How well do we fulfill this first commandment to be whole heartedly, completely devoted and surrendered to Him?



Commandment # 1 – epic fail most days L