and the One who walks with me on it.

Wednesday, January 01, 2014

Happy New Year!

       What is it they say, "Out with the old, in with the new"?  This makes it sound as if the "old" is always worse than the "new", but in my opinion that isn't always the case.  Old cheese is far tastier than newer cheese.  Old furniture is classic while newer stuff all seems common.  Older appliances last longer than newer ones.  Old is sometimes better- wisdom comes with age...
 
       We should decide to throw out some of the old things in our lives we don't need or want any more.  Old thoughts: the ones that keep us back from moving forward with the Lord.  Old habits:  those that hinder us from getting healthier, happier, from saving money or improving relationships.  Old attitudes:  laziness in getting done the tasks the Lord wants us to take on, pessimism when bad things happen, apathy concerning living godly, selfishness in the body, guarded or false masks we wear among the brethren, wasteful (of time, money, things) lives.
 
       As for me, I'm ready to throw out an old relationship.  It's an old 'boyfriend' I'll call Bill.  He was my first when I was young and stupid.  We did everything together.  I thought he cared about me, but in the end I realized Bill really only cared about himself.  At first he seemed to give me everything I needed, but eventually he crushed my spirit and brought me down as low as I could go.  The weird thing is, I still returned to him time and again: when I got scared of an unknown future or tired of trying or just plain allowed my selfishness to exert itself again.
 
       All these years, even since I've been married to the most perfect man,  I've continued to hang on to Bill- just in case: in case things didn't work out, in case I didn't like what the future held, in case I missed the old times, in case there was any other excuse I wanted to use...  Just keep him waiting in the background to run back to whenever I want.  That's why I've finally decided to throw Bill out with the old- leave him in the past where he belongs.
 
       Bill is the world.  See, I had just run back to Bill in a really big way the past couple weeks, and though I saw myself head back into that selfish, life suppressing mess, I continued towards it with my eyes wide open.  It was like I was taking a break from my marriage.  Then my perfect man (the Lord) said to me, "Is this really what you want?" meaning no responsibility, no obedience, no moving forward in Him pressure.
 
      "No," I decided, but I questioned for the umpteenth time, "Why did I do this again?"  He told me to watch 'Hope Floats' about a woman who gets dumped by her husband Bill on national tv after he cheats on her (with her best friend).  She can't get over him, goes into depression, remains desperate for his love and attention and still hopes he'll come back even after his ill treatment of her.  She stalls moving forward out of fear of letting go and the unknown future.
 
       It takes a tragedy for her to realize that Bill never did love her, wanted only what was best for him, and his lack of good character was profound.  Despite my knowing these things about the 'world' I continued to partially hold on instead of completely letting go and that is why my moving forward always seemed to stall for days at a time.  But I'm done with that.  Out will the old (Bill) and in stays the new (My Lord).  I don't want a fall back left anywhere that I can return to.  I want to burn that bridge forever.
 
       A little bit scary... yes.
              The best way to start the New Year... absolutely!!!
 

Do not love the world, nor the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him, because all that is in the world... is not of the Father, but is of the world. And the world passes away, and the lust of it, but he who does the will of God abides forever. 1Jh. 2:15-17
 
 
Bye Bye Bill