and the One who walks with me on it.

Thursday, January 23, 2014

Breakfast

        I’ve taken to eating breakfast in a different way these days.  Now, since I’m trying to eat gluten free, my breakfasts often mean unusual foods.  So I get ready my mix mash of items, set them out and sit down where ever I feel like it, then bow my head and breathe.  Why breathe?  Because in the rush of getting things done I would usually pray a quick prayer and quite honestly, it wouldn’t be heartfelt- often a bunch of mindless words I’ve said a million times.

       So I breathe.  Then I invite the Lord to ‘sit’ with me so we may ‘dine’ together, and then I pray to Him who sits beside me.  The prayers come out a little different that way and tend to be more honest and truly thankful.  And I have so very much to be thankful for: life, breath, freedom, joy, children, husband, husband who cooks yummy food, friends, brothers and sisters in the Lord, and so many other good things.

       Still, the most important things I am grateful for: the mercy and grace of our Lord Jesus Christ.  He didn’t have to extend them to us, but He chose to and chooses to- time and again.  And when I think of how often I have failed Him in the past, still sometimes do and will likely do so in the future, I marvel at the extension of His favour.

Mercy- Benevolence or a tender heart which causes a person to overlook injuries, treat an offender better than he deserves and forgives trespasses or forbear punishment. 
Grace- Free unmerited favour of God who is the source of all benefits toward man.

"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness."… 2Cr. 12:9 ESV 
But the Law entered so that the offense might abound. But where sin abounded, grace did much more abound, Rm. 5:20 
Through Him we also have access by faith into this grace in which we stand… Rm. 5:2 
But if by grace, then it is no more of works… Rm. 11:6

       Jesus gives us His grace so that we may be sufficient in it.  This means we can do the things we need to do, all of His will in our lives because He gives us His grace to do them.  To think there is something we can’t do is to fail to see what God can do in us or through us.  The law was meant only to show us our sins which are many and endless, but His grace overcomes our sins because the blood of Jesus Christ pardons us and so by His grace we can stand.  What we do is not by our own means, but by His grace- which we don’t deserve but He still gives freely.

       For me, I think that’s why I am pausing to really pray before meals.  Who He is amazes me and what He has done for me is beyond that.  I can never be grateful enough but I will at least be honest in my words and mean them.  For our great and holy God extends His mercy and grace into our lives every day we live to breathe again.  To Him, I am eternally thankful. Our high priest continues to work for us…

Therefore let us come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need. Hb. 4:16