and the One who walks with me on it.

Friday, November 22, 2013

Mirror, mirror on the wall...


        It was standard practice, as a younger Christian, when I would read of the Hebrew children in the desert after leaving Egypt, that I would shake my head thinking, 'Man, they are so faithless, and always complaining about one thing or another; especially after the miracles they saw!!!  I would never do that!'  Of course, it would NEVER dawn on me that I was looking into a mirror at myself: my lack of faith, especially coming from this side of the cross, and my propensity for complaining to God myself.
 
       But that's all changed now.  I have faith.  I don't complain like that anymore.  It's all good now, right?  Of course, around the time we start thinking that way, the Lord is good to drop another mirror in front of our face to remind us how we really look.  Lately I've been soooooooo busy with all the driving--- at least I complain to everyone I can about it.  I hate driving.  Basically I have five times of driving from the house to bring or pick up a child a day.  Five times!  Phew!  Did you know, I hate driving?  And it exhausts me!
                                                And I don't get much done because of that!
 
 
Of course, after the mirror dropped in front of my face and God said to me "stop complaining", I realized how stupid I was being.  He brought to my mind all these blessings related to my driving:

       -my daughter is in college- triple blessing
(a girl, in
       college, knows what she wants and has a talent for it)
       -my son will graduate high school this year at his out of
       district arts school
       -my daughter has a job after school- and worked all
       summer
       -my son puts in community service hours at a place he
       enjoys
       -my daughter is learning to drive and often practices on the way home from work
       -my husband is working steady and we can afford the gas
       -the car is still drivable- and we have two vehicles
       -we have public health care for doctor appointments
       -we have private health care for mostly everything else- that I also drive us to
       -we have the money to stop by the grocery store to buy food we eat
       -my mom is still alive to drive where she needs to go
 
       Shucks God, I did it again, didn't I?  Repent.  Change again, wishing it was forever but remembering my propensity for complaining... 
 
Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. 1Th. 5:18
Do all things without murmurings and disputings, Php. 2:14
And when the people complained, it displeased the LORD: and the LORD heard it; and his anger was kindled... Nm. 11:1
Nor murmur as some of them also murmured... 1Cr. 10:10
 
       Notice the last Scripture in context is speaking about the Hebrew children with Moses, that we shouldn't be like them in certain ways (v.5-9) like their murmuring, and they are examples to us as warnings (v.11)  so we won't do the same things.  "So let him who thinks he stands take heed lest he fall." (v.12)  I'm tired, but it's a good tired- because of the many blessings of the Lord.  And in the end, He even helps me: to understand myself better, realize the blessings He's given me, and that He loves me enough to chastise me because I'm His child.  Whoa God, what a blessed life I lead.  Thank You!
 
I'm forever Yours...