and the One who walks with me on it.

Friday, September 27, 2013

Parched Land

 
      Sometimes it feels like we are walking in a parched land.  We turn on a different path hoping for water, but find none.  We try another road, but it is also barren.  It seems no matter which way we go, the land can not give us the water we need, and we feel like we are dehydrated and dying.  I'm 46 years old and I don't know anyone who hasn't been in a parched land at one time or more in their lives.  So, how do we get through?
 
 
...I will help you, says Jehovah, and your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel...
The poor and needy seek water, and there is none; their tongue fails for thirst, I Jehovah will hear them, I the God of Israel will not leave them. I will open rivers in high places, and fountains in the midst of the valleys; I will make the wilderness a pool of water, and the dry land springs of water.  I will plant the cedar in the wilderness, the acacia tree, and the myrtle, and the oil tree. I will set the fir tree in the desert, and the pine, and the box tree together;  so that they may see, and know, and look on, and understand together, that the hand of Jehovah has done this, and the Holy One of Israel has created it.  Is. 41:14,17-20
 
       Notice in these verses just what God is able to do for those who are poor (depressed, afflicted, humble, lowly) and needy (in want, destitute, beggar, poor).  It says He will help (surround, protect, aid), He will hear us (1Jh. 5:15) and will not leave us (Hb. 13:5).  But also, there are miraculous things He is able to do for us. 
 
Behold, the heaven and the heaven of heavens belong to Jehovah your God, the earth also, with all in it. Dt. 10:14
I have made the earth, and created man on it; I with My hands have stretched out the heavens; and all their host have I commanded. Is. 45:12
Whatever the LORD pleases, he does, in heaven and on earth, in the seas and all deeps. Ps. 135:6 ESV
 
He is able to loosen rivers on barren hills (high places).
 
He is able to open springs (fountains) in the plains or valleys.
 
He is able to make the wilderness a pool (pond, marsh) of water.
 
He is able to bring fresh springs out dry land.
   -Water is a necessity of life, refreshment, quenching thirst.
 
 
He is able to make trees of all kinds grow in the wilderness and desert.
   -Trees that provide food, oil, shade, durable building materials, glue, etc
 

       Surely if God can do these things for the Israelites, He can do them for us for we are His children, adopted into His family, and He loves us too.  So those times when we are wandering in parched land unable to find water, shade and such, we need to remember WHO God is and what He is able to do.  Then we must seek His provision out- in His Word, in His presence, in His hand, and though we may remain in the parched time for a while, He can make that place of refreshment and life in the midst of it.
 
Thank You Lord that You continue to provide for my needs as I walk in parched lands!