and the One who walks with me on it.

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Incredible Journey

        Friday and Saturday brought many moments of wondering how likely I would fail in my quest to drive 12 hours straight by myself in order for my son and his birth brother to meet their sister of whom Nate has no memories.  Usually I can't drive more than 3 to 4 hours before getting drowsy and I still have trouble staying awake during the  day even on the average day.  So it was with trepidation I headed home from my sister's house (3 1/2 hour drive) thinking maybe I had made a mistake.  What if my inability to drive long enough caused the trip to be an epic fail because we only had a possible five days in total in which to go?

       It was about four minutes later that a surge of confidence flowed through me and I believed for the first time that maybe it was possible with God's help.  So it was Monday morning the three of us headed south.  Putting my trust in God, I prayed for our safety.  Though I took an herbal supplement to help me stay awake, they have failed to work before and I was not sure if it would help.  I also consumed food items to help such as SUGAR and NUTS!!!

       The presence of God was with me in a different way than I've felt before- like His strength / energy was surging through me.  The enemy began trying to instill fear in me.  The van sounded different: maybe the engine will blow up- what will you do? What will you do if it breaks down on the way?  What if a tire blows out?  With every fear that came against my mind I just talked to the Lord and trusted Him to help in any circumstance. Five hours into the trip I was still praising God for keeping me awake, focussed, and alert, and I was in awe of His amazing ability to help.  I was still hanging on to Him to get me through every minute. 

      Now, in the States, the speeds are often 112.5 km/h which is uncomfortable for me, but necessary with our time restrictions.  The enemy tried to come at me with fear over that as well, but his major attacks were in the area of the hills in Tennessee.  Sure the highway was good, but the speeds were high and the edge of the road bordered on the edge of deep valleys and I've often struggled with heights.  Every mile- no every minute I was praying, trusting God, taking breaths (He reminded me) and focussing on the road instead of the drop offs.  It was His strength that kept me going.

       Anyway, by the time we went through Atlanta in the dark I was pondering once again the miraculous power of God in the journeys- short and long- being taken around me.  Hundreds of people driving hundreds of miles over 100 km/h relying on four rubber tires, good steering, solid brakes, and a bit of trust in the other drivers who don't want to die either.  How is it there aren't more fatalities than there already are?  It is God that sustains the world around us, and we are blessed to wake breathing another day given the craziness of our ordinary lives.

       At 9:30pm we arrived at the motel.  I still had energy, felt good physically, and more importantly, God had shown me what is possible if I just minute by minute rely upon Him.  "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." (Php. 4:13)  This world is like a war zone in the physical and spiritual realm, and we weren't meant to make the journey driving solo.

       Though I started the trip with reserved thinking and though the enemy tried to attack me along the way, the lesson I learned was vital for the path I am being lead on- trust in Him with everything even minute by minute when necessary- and He will get you through whatever you need to get through.  I hope to always remember the 12 hour drive in which the Lord made His power strong in me sufficient for the task at hand (2Cor. 12;9,10).

Now to Him who is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us, to Him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, forever. Amen. Eph. 3:20,21
Do not fear; for I am with you; be not dismayed; for I am your God. I will make you strong; yes, I will help you; yes, I will uphold you with the right hand of My righteousness. Is. 41:10
 
My flesh and my heart fail;
but God is the strength of my heart,
and my part forever.
Ps. 73:26