and the One who walks with me on it.

Friday, June 28, 2013

Too Little to See

       He walked into the doctor's office with his momma and stood boldly beside her.  He was adorable, perhaps 3 years old, with short, curly black hair peeking out from his cap, big brown eyes, gorgeous chocolate brown complexion and a smile that could turn your heart to mush at a glance.  They came and sat down beside me and I couldn't help but peek over at him and smile.  He smiled back.  We kept peeking at each other with me making faces and it was then I noticed a dimple in his right cheek.  Could he get any cuter?

       When I got up to walk around he pointed at me to get back in my seat so I thought to oblige him for a few minutes.  It was then his momma got up to speak to the receptionist who sat far behind a tall counter.  The little boy really wanted to see what was behind the counter, so he jumped up once, twice, three times, but was unable to see.  Next, he tried to hold on to the counter to support his jump and lever himself up some, but he was still not able to see.  One more try and he was almost there when momma 'helped him down' so he didn't get hurt.

       I was disappointed for the little boy knowing he only wanted to see what was on the other side of that tall counter, and his face showed he felt the same.  I imagine he felt a bit left out because he couldn't see what his momma could, and no one likes to be left out.  And, as far as I know, he never did see what was over the counter.

        Now I'm wondering if Jesus ever wishes we'd try our best to see Him, to see what's going on behind His counter, all the things He sees, what He knows, and what is to come.  Are we even excited enough to care who's speaking the words we hear?  Do we make every effort we are able to- to know Him better?  Perhaps we are satisfied just hearing a word or two but never seeing the bigger picture?

       Or maybe we're just too little to see... 
                                 and we need to grow up first.


that you might walk worthy of the Lord to all pleasing, being fruitful in every work and increasing in the knowledge of God, Col. 1:10
You, therefore, must be perfect [growing into complete maturity of godliness in mind and character, having reached the proper height of virtue and integrity], as your heavenly Father is perfect. Mt. 5:48 AMP