and the One who walks with me on it.

Monday, May 06, 2013

Why I Like Thursdays



       I look forward to checking the newspapers Wed, Thurs and Friday.  It is not because I read the paper, although I do some of the puzzles to try and improve my brain (hasn’t helped yet lol), but because I enjoy looking through the flyers.  Not much interests me on Wed, and Fri has only a couple decent ones, but Thurs has the largest amount of flyers: grocery and other.  It also has one of my favorites- Canadian Tire.  On the front of all my flyers I write the stuff that I may want to get at that store, then copy them to my grocery list under the store name and do price matching when possible, all to conserve money.

       When we were laid off it was critical to go through the grocery flyers to find the sales- since I am usually around most of the stores sometime through the week.  But my favorite part was still the CT flyer, because I could imagine all the things I would get if I could afford it, plus, I really, really like tools- especially power tools!  Usually I read it last so I can thoroughly enjoy it; first with a quick ‘once over’ and then slower to make sure I didn’t miss anything.  I’m like a little kid excited to see all the cool stuff in it- potential for all kinds of adventures!  Only the Wish Book we get every winter thrills me more!

       At church last Wed the presence of the Lord was so strong that it actually felt good to be there worshiping Him.  He is so much more enjoyable to be with- dare I say, most of the time.  Yes, there are those times of chastisement that are not pleasant, and times He is working hard things out of my life, but overall, being in His presence tops all the other pleasures in life.  That same excitement when I get my flyer or Wish Book was there, only on a way bigger scale.  I wanted to shout.  I wanted to let go and praise the Lord loudly for being our victorious Redeemer!

You will make Me know the way of life; in Your presence is fullness of joys. At Your right hand are pleasures forevermore.  Ps. 16:11 (joy= glee, exceeding gladness, joy, mirth, pleasure, rejoice)
But thanks be to God who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.  1Cor. 15:57
My soul longs, yea, even faints for the courts of Jehovah; my heart and my flesh shout for joy to the living God.  Ps. 84:2
Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all the earth: make a loud noise, and rejoice, and sing praise.  Ps. 98:4 KJV
Clap your hand, all you peoples; shout to God with the voice of triumph.  Ps. 47:1


       Some might say it is strange for me to shout or want to shout, but that’s what I want to do when I’m really excited about something- and it builds up until I can express it.  What I find interesting is that many Christians try to follow what the Bible says in many ways, but shouting to God is not one of them.  We’ll shout during our favorite sports games, when our kids do something great, when we’re trying to get someone’s attention, when we’re proud of someone’s accomplishment etc., but not to the One who set aside His God attributes to come in human flesh, torturously die for our sins and redeem us from eternal damnation.

To me, that’s strange.


Lord, please help us all be more excited about You.
Maybe that excitement will draw others to find out what You’re all about!