and the One who walks with me on it.

Wednesday, May 08, 2013

Do I exist?



       Perhaps this post is enough to convince you that I exist, but perhaps not, since some of you have never met me.  Most people would not argue with me about my existence as they would be able to see, hear, possibly smell me if I’ve been running or eating wheat (always repercussions there), and touch me to know I exist.  But it is funny how people try to deny the things they can’t see as if not seeing it right now makes it untrue- even when there are witnesses they can question.

       My grandpa immigrated to Canada at a very young age with his rather large family.  Though I only remember grandpa, I know he had a dad that came with them and my grandpa verified it was the man in the photo with them- so I have no reason to doubt him.  Lately I’ve been doing a bit of a study on the kings of Israel/ Judah, their prophets and the kings of nations surrounding them.  What I didn’t expect is to find out how many people discount the Bible completely when it comes to history- like it can’t possibly be true just because it is written in THAT book.

       Still, archaeology is confirming Biblical history more and more.  There are 36 OT and 25 NT names of people recorded in the Bible that have been referred to in the writings of other cultures.  The Assyrians, Babylonians, Egyptians and Persians recorded much that has been found.  (There are another possible 25 names but there is uncertainty for a variety of reasons.)  King Rehoboam’s name was found on the Pharoah Shoshenq I relief and stelae, yet some question whether Solomon existed.  Well, if Rehoboam was Solomon’s son then it follows that Solomon existed- whether or not proof is ever found!  Likewise, my grandpa’s grandpa existed even though there is no proof.

King Hezekiah's bulla
       It all comes down to if you are willing to change your preconceived beliefs about something, because some people see the proof and still find ways to doubt.  They fight and argue over dating, debris fields, clay findings, ‘it could be someone else with that name’, and such.  Some people today deny such things as the lunar landing, the holocaust, various famines, genocides and oppression of their own countrymen.  In the end no amount of proof can change an unwilling mind.

       Do I exist?  Yes.  If you have no proof, that fact will not change.  One thousand years from now if no record of me is left anywhere, my DNA is not passed on in my children, none of my blog posts survive, and no oral mention of me carries on, I still existed in this time in this place.  It’s not logical to deny existence based on lack of proof, and I despise illogic.  I exist, proof or not.  No proof does NOT prove non-existence! 
      
For the wrath of God is revealed from Heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, because the thing which may be known of God is clearly revealed within them, for God revealed it to them. For the unseen things of Him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being realized by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, for them to be without excuse. Rom. 1:18-20
they did not glorify Him as God… (v.21)
Professing to be wise, they became fools (v.22)
For they changed the truth of God into a lie (v.25)
And even as they did not think fit to have God in their knowledge (v.28)
The fool has said in his heart, There is no God!... 
(Ps. 14:1; 53:1)


Oh Lord, forgive our ignorance...