and the One who walks with me on it.

Monday, March 25, 2013

Technology Today



       Right now my daughter is reading a book and making notes while texting back and forth to friends.  My son is on his XBox playing some skateboarding game.  Hubby is playing on his Kobo Arc looking for free science fiction to download, and I am typing away at the keyboard of my computer writing this post.

       That is technology today and how typical households act- but certainly don’t interact.  It did come in handy the other day on family night as I had lost my voice and wouldn’t be able to speak.  So we played a free ‘guess the drawing’ game which was kind of fun.  I made enough points to buy more colours.  Woohoo!  Too bad when my daughter was showing me how to scroll through the rows of choices she accidentally hit my hand and I picked a set I didn’t really want!  Oops!

       In all honesty, I kind of wish most of it would disappear because it seems as if people are becoming so addicted to their devices that they are constantly on them, but certainly they have their benefits.  Finding information, joining support groups (helped save my life once), reading while waiting for doctor appointments, finding each other in crowds, texting ‘I’m here’ when waiting, calling for help, playing games to help with memory, etc.  There’s got to be a million reasons why technology is good, but the biggest negative is the ease in which our gadgets can become idols in our lives.

       Spent 40 min. texting but didn’t have time to pray.  Played video games for an hour but didn’t have time to read my Bible.  Read news-feeds and played games on Facebook for two hours, but didn’t have time to converse with God.  Watched a late night trilogy but couldn’t get up for church because I was too tired.

       What is an idol anyway?  Isn’t it a statue we bow down to and worship?  Not really.  Anything that becomes more important to us in life than God is an idol because it takes His rightful place.  Yes, that means work, play, t.v., sleep, food, gadgets, texting, games, TECHNOLOGY, etc.  The list is huge.  According to Webster’s, idolatry means ‘the worship of idols or excessive devotion to, or reverence for some person or thing.  Idolatry is a ‘work of the flesh’ (Gal. 5:20) and those who practice it will “…not inherit the kingdom of God(1Cor 6:9).

       These days a form of self-worship is on the rise as well: self-improvement, sensuality, self-help, stubbornness (1Sm. 15:23), self-centeredness, love of possessions, greed (Col. 3:5), knowledge, pride, power, status, etc.  We have become a society that “…changed the truth of God into a lie, and they worshiped and served the created thing more than the Creator…” (Rom. 1:25)  As the Israelites of old, the “…work of their own hands, that which their own fingers have made.(Is. 2:8) has also become idols today.

Little children, keep yourselves away from idols.
1Jn. 5:21 ISV

And so, my dear friends, keep on running away from idolatry.
1Cor. 10:14 ISV