and the One who walks with me on it.

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Drive

       Aimee Mullins (athlete, actress, and fashion model) is a 37yr old woman who at the age of one had her legs amputated below the knees.  She learned to walk with prosthetic legs and pushed herself both physically and mentally to succeed despite limitations.  In high school she was involved in sports and eventually participated in ‘disabled’ competitions.  In University she competed in ‘able-bodied’ competitions and later the Paralympic Games doing well in both.  Though there is obvious talent/ skill, what has made Aimee most successful imo is her drive.

      -A strong, organized effort to accomplish a purpose. (online)
      -energy, ambition (achieving goals), or initiative  (online)
      -Drive, in all its senses, implies forcible or violent action.
       (Webster’s 1828)

       On Sunday I was speaking to a lady who asked about my kids and what they want to do as they are in the later years of high school.  When I mentioned my son wanted to be a ‘rap star’ she asked about his talent and his drive.  I was impressed that she realized how important drive is in the music industry.  Many have talent, but few succeed enough to live off their earnings.  Well, that is his biggest issue to overcome as he isn’t particularly driven in anything.  Without energetic initiative and organized effort it is unlikely he will succeed.

       At first I thought, ‘perhaps he missed having an example of drive’.  Then, when I considered it more in depth, I realized my own drive is quite strong- just in areas I didn’t think about before.  Goal achievement is one.  When I set a goal ahead of myself, I charge full on to accomplish it no matter what tries to get in the way.  Also, I am driven to help people: be encouraged on their journeys, get closer to God, know who they are in Christ, etc.  But probably the biggest drive I have is for God.  I want to be all His, fully surrendered, AND be used by Him ‘warts and all’.  These things my son has seen.

       We all need drive if we are to achieve our goals in life.  If we want to lose weight, we must DO something about it: change diet, exercise, etc.   (Sorry, prayer won’t take pounds off! L )  If we want a new trade we must DO something about it: go to school, apprentice, etc.  If we want to have a better marriage, we have to DO something about it: pray, seek help, read books, take courses, etc.  And if we want a better life in the Lord, we’ve got to DO something about it: pray, be in His presence, read the Word, listen, study, etc. 
(It’s not going to magically happen!)

       The more we really want it, the more effort we will put toward it, and the more likely we will accomplish our goal.  Drive is not a bad thing.  If we had no drive at all we would starve to death, but we have a drive to meet basic needs, to improve financial standing, to get married, have families, have good jobs…  There’s nothing wrong with that.  The Lord is explicit in how we are to do the things we do:


Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might  Ec. 9:10
And whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men;  Col. 3:23
Do you not know that those running in a race all run, but one receives the prize? So run, that you may obtain.  1Cor. 9:24

I wonder what would happen if all God’s children decided to put energetic effort, organized initiative, and mighty, hearty action into their relationship with God? 


Perhaps we would manage to change the world