and the One who walks with me on it.

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

How did Job know?

  
        There are many things I am uncertain about in the Bible and one of those is when a man named Job actually lived. There is no proof, though many suspect it was before Abraham or Moses, but regardless of when he lived, we know there weren't many copies of the law (Moses books) floating around by then- if at all. So how did Job know the things he knew about God. It must have been orally relayed to him and learned by relationship over the years. And though he suffered terribly through a horrible trial, yet he continued to honour God, for he knew who He was. Read what he said:


For I know that my Redeemer lives, and He shall rise on the earth at the last; and even after they corrupt my skin, yet this: in my flesh I shall see God, Job. 19:25,26 all MKJV
        It has been a bit of an odd day for me today- pondering life, man and sin entering into the world, and how none of that would have changed if I were there instead of Eve because I still have a predisposition to sin. But this morning I've been considering how grateful I am because we have a Redeemer who has not only redeemed us from our sins, but will redeem this world from the one we sold it to when we became slaves to sin (Rom. 6:20). Now the prince of the power of the air (Eph. 2:2) holds the deed to this world, but Jesus Christ is coming back one day to redeem it. How DID Job know?

        I think I'm going to wait until tomorrow to post about the Redeemer, but I'd like to write more about Job today. At the point he writes the verses above, his friends are already blasting him about the things he is saying and feeling. Eliphaz, Bildad and Zophar all had turns at him- six chapters worth. Talk about hitting a man while he's down. And Job doesn't tell them to get lost, leave him alone or worse, he just lets them speak and then tries to further explain his thinking.

        Then here in chapter 19, Job speaks about his Redeemer (Heb. ga'al)- his near kin who will ransom him, who will return in the end, and though Job's flesh is rotted in the earth, yet he will see God. Whoa! How did he know that? See, the truth has been around as long as God, since Jesus said, "...I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life; no one comes to the Father but by Me." (Jh. 14:6) so if you know the God of truth (Is. 65:16), you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free (Jh. 8:23).
 
        Job knew the truth about God AND the God of truth, and knew that his body was only mortal and would die, but that one day he would see God face to face. That's why Job could hold on. That's why Job didn't shut himself off from God in his deepest despair- because he believed in ultimate redemption. That is what I lacked in most of the trials I went through, and which I hope I have finally learned. Our Redeemer lives, and though He has redeemed us from our sins (Ps. 103:12; Col. 1:14) in the last day shall give ultimate redemption of life eternal for us, so no matter what happens while in this mortal flesh, our victory is guaranteed (1Cor. 15:57) through Jesus Christ our Redeemer!!!


I have written these things to you who believe on the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have everlasting life, and that you may believe on the name of the Son of God.
1Jh. 5:13
...He entered once for all into the Holies, having obtained eternal redemption for us.

Heb. 9:12