and the One who walks with me on it.

Friday, January 04, 2013

Changing Internet Companies

(Sorry, no pictures today- can't figure out what's gone wrong!)

       We have been with the same internet company since we could afford to be on the internet- I’m guessing, in the late 90’s.  Back then, we couldn’t use the phone if we were online, and people couldn’t call us either.  Calling tech support meant a writing down their helpful advice followed by me hanging up and trying it out- only to find if it didn’t work I’d have to call tech support again and explain everything to a new technician L!  Bleck!  I’m glad those days are over.

       Yesterday marked the end of that particular internet company for us (hence the reason I didn’t post).  For the first time we stepped out of our comfort zone and picked a new company to go with (after much thought and references from others who have been with them for years).  It is kind of scary for me because I don’t want anything to go wrong, and I was used to what we had.  This new company will get us ‘more bang for our buck’ in the long run as our needs have changed given the current technology of wireless devices.

       The actual switch took only a few minutes of time from the new company’s perspective, but required much more time and effort for me.  I had to send out email address changes to all my contacts, and change the information in all the websites that refer to our email.  There were new emails to make and forwarding to set up.  Since the man came later than I wanted and to do the work, it wasn’t until later last night when I could do all the work I needed to do.  Hopefully no one was missed or copied the wrong address.

       It’s much the same with our Christian walk.  Though the decision we make to surrender to God and follow after Jesus usually only takes a couple minutes, the rest is all work and effort from there.  Not that we can deep down change ourselves, but there are lifestyle decisions to make, behaviours and habits to try to break, learning of a new way of living, and hardest of all- a constant surrendering to God and His will/ purpose for our lives; with, of course, my favorite- crucifying of the flesh.

Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life. Rom. 6:4 
(Jesus said)If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me. Lk. 9:23 
And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts. Gal. 5:24

       One of the hardest things (besides surrendering control) for me to do was consistently read and study the Word of God.  It is the Word that will help transform our lives by renewing our minds (Rom. 12:2).  More time and effort- really?!?  Yep!  The Bible is clear, if we are believers than we need to earnestly labour or “Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.(2Tm. 2:15).

       One small change to our internet meant an evening of time and effort on my part- and possibly days of figuring out other things I missed and correcting them.  One big decision in 1983 has changed my life forever and put me on an amazing journey with an awesome God who continues to astound me every day with His presence, His mercy and grace, and His great love for me.

Come, join the journey with me.

Surrendering my life to Jesus (and more every day) is the best decision I’ve ever made!!!