and the One who walks with me on it.

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Tomorrow is a New Day

       Sometimes it’s hard to leave our past behind, whether it is ‘big’ things like failed marriages or ‘small’ things like not getting all our chores done the day before.  When I was a teen, my favorite movie was Anne of Green Gables released in ’85.  I loved her spunk, her propensity for getting into trouble for the dumbest reasons, and her crazy ideas.

       Really, who breaks a slate board over a boy’s head on her very first day of school, all because he calls her ‘Carrots’ due to her red hair?  Used to getting into trouble, Anne had to learn how to deal with her many mistakes, and it is in this movie that I heard one of my most favorite quotes, “…isn't it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?

       Yes, it is pleasant to think that every morning I wake up it is a fresh day without any mistakes yet.  I guess it goes right along with “Through the Lord’s mercies we are not consumed, Because His compassions fail not. They are new every morning; Great is Your faithfulness.(Lam. 3:22,23 NKJV)  We are not consumed (wasted; burnt up; destroyed), because the Lord’s mercy and compassion are new for us every day.

        Yesterday I made mistakes.  Yesterday I sinned.  Yesterday I did not get done all I needed to, yet still, when the Lord’s forgiveness comes, it is complete (Is. 43:25; Heb. 8:12) so why should I allow guilt of yesterday to keep me from trying to get this day right?  Far too often, we allow our ‘failures’ to keep us back from moving on with the Lord, or life; the enemy will also use these same tactics.  But we must remember that with the Lord, every day (if forgiven) is a new start with no mistakes in it, and the Lord does this for us because of His great mercy and compassion.  How wonderful He is.

Remember ye not the former things, neither consider the things of old. Behold, I will do a new thing; now it shall spring forth; shall ye not know it?...  Is. 43:18,19 

His mercy & compassion, like dew, are new every day!


       Let us never give up, not on ourselves (God has always known we are not perfect and would fail often- yet He still loves us) and not on God who doesn’t always do things the way we expect.  Thomas Edison once said, “Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time.  We need to leave the past behind us, not looking back in guilt (only as lessons learned) and permit ourselves to begin again.  Though we fall, the Lord will uphold us in His hands (Ps. 37:24) and He will help us begin each day anew with no mistakes in it… yet!

Then we’ll do it all again tomorrow!

this one thing I do:
Forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I keep pursuing the goal to win the prize of God's heavenly call in Christ Jesus. Therefore, those of us who are mature should think this way... 
Php. 3:13-15 ISV