and the One who walks with me on it.

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Castle Dreams

       Ever since I was a little girl, I always loved castles.  They are regal buildings full of character and mystery, each one distinct from another.  As a child my favorite toys were the Fisher Price play sets with different buildings, people and furniture.  I would play for hours making up imaginary lives for the characters, and set them about their daily tasks.

        In the mid 70’s a new set came out, the Fisher Price Castle, and I was just thrilled.  My best friend at the time got one, and we played with it as often as she’d allow.  It had everything one would want for the castle including a trap door that led to the dungeon: such a great set!  The problem was I lived nowhere near her, and because mom didn’t drive, I could rarely get over.  Still, it was my fondest hope that I would receive it as my one toy for Christmas (along with the standard socks and undies).

       Disappointment set in quickly when I opened my presents that year and there was a different toy (cheaper by necessity), and I did not understand why I could not have the one thing I really wanted.  For me, it was heartbreaking.  Worse yet, my friend had tired of her toy castle and no longer wanted to play with it when I could get over.  It was devastating for me to be so close to the castle and never be able to play with it.

       It is not the same with our Father in heaven.  He owns the cattle on a thousand hills (Ps. 50:10) and so anything we ask of Him is possible.  Does it mean we will get everything we want?  I don’t believe that is what scriptures are referring to, but yet, we are promised He will meet our need (Php. 4:19).  Yet, there is one thing in which Jesus said we would not be disappointed.  If we keep asking for the Holy Spirit, we will receive!

So I say to you: Keep asking, and it will be given you. Keep searching, and you will find. Keep knocking, and the door will be opened for you. For everyone who keeps asking will receive, and the person who keeps searching will find, and the person who keeps knocking will have the door opened.
"What father among you, if his son asks for bread, would give him a stone, or if he asks for a fish, would give him a snake instead of the fish? Or if he asks for an egg, would he give him a scorpion? So if you who are evil know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will the Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who keep asking him!"  Lk. 11:9-13 ISV

       What an exceedingly great gift we have the opportunity to receive.  No earthly father would give their child dangerous objects in place of basic needs, so how much more the Father will give the Holy Spirit (a need) to us, to help us with our lives and teach us all things (Jh. 14:26).  We can certainly live our lives in the salvation Jesus provided for us, but I thank God that Jesus left to send us the Holy Spirit (Jh. 16:7) to complete our lives, and His Spirit is the power we have to live according to God’s will.  According to Jesus, we can keep asking for Him, and the Father will not disappoint us.  The Spirit is better and exceeds all dreams!

Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly
above all that we ask or think,
according to the power that worketh in us,
Unto him be glory...
Eph. 3:20,21