and the One who walks with me on it.

Saturday, October 13, 2012

Ravenous

       So, after a day of not being able to eat much, I have felt rather hungry all day, and thirsty to go along with it.  In fact, I would say it goes beyond hungry into ravenous- you know the feeling.  Like no matter how much you eat, it is never enough.  Here are the definitions of hungry and ravenous.

Hungry: Feeling or displaying the need for food.
Having a strong desire or craving:
Ravenous: Extremely hungry.
Greedy (insatiable) for gratification (satisfaction, fulfillment, enjoyment, pleasure, delight)

       When we are hungry it is because we haven’t eaten and our body needs the food for energy to do, well, everything.  If hunger goes on for a bit of time, we become very hungry, or ravenous.  Just thinking how that is the same for two other non-food things.  One is the Word of God.  If we don’t eat/ get proper meals of the Word, we will become hungry and eventually starve, killing off our spirit life.

As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby: 1Pt. 2:2
My soul breaketh for the longing that it hath unto thy judgments at all times. Ps. 119:20
My soul fainteth for thy salvation: but I hope in thy word. Ps. 119:81

       The other thing, actually person, is the Lord.  We need His presence in our lives.  Sure we could live without Him, but it would be a miserable life always feeling like something is missing.  We crave His presence and feel unfulfilled without Him even if it is only subconsciously.  We get into trouble trying to fill His spot in our hearts with other people and things, but ultimately they never satisfy.  We need to be ‘greedy’ for more of the Lord, to desire and long for more of Him.

One thing have I desired of the LORD, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to enquire in his temple.  Ps. 27:4
As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God? Ps. 42:1,2
O God, you are my God, earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you, my body longs for you, Ps. 63:1
My soul longeth, yea, even fainteth for the courts of the LORD: my heart and my flesh crieth out for the living God. Ps. 84:2
And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst. Jh. 6:35
early will I seek thee: my soul thirsteth for thee, my flesh longeth for thee in a dry and thirsty land, where no water is; Ps. 63:1

Oh Lord, complete satisfaction, fulfillment, enjoyment, pleasure, and delight can only be found in You!