and the One who walks with me on it.

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Carrots, Eggs, and Coffee Beans


       I read an internet story once that gave a visual I won’t easily forget.  The storyline is something like: when the trials of life envelop us, we usually react in one of three ways- like a carrot, an egg, or coffee.  It likened the trials to boiling water and how it affects each of the items.  A strong, hard carrot boiled too long becomes mushy and as long as it has water, will begin to weaken and fall apart (yes, personal cooking experience! L ).  Actually, I’ve done some of this myself- you know- falling apart when going through tough times.  Like when I’d fall apart and return to ‘emotional eating’ over and over (not very healthy!).


       If you don’t react to adversity by falling apart, perhaps you are more like an egg.  A fragile and malleable egg turns hard from its experience with boiling water.  A short time in the cooker and it is still tasty, but just keep it in too long and the yoke goes blackish green and there is a sulfur smell.  Keep boiling it in the water and the yoke dries out horribly, the white turns rubbery and the egg stinks, thereby ruining it (so I’m told).  Some say the shell cracks up.  I know a person who responds to life’s trials this way.  He is still hard and bitter over all that has happened.  His exterior ‘cracks’ can cut you if you’re not careful, and the ‘stench’ of that bitterness reaches out and drags every one around it down.


       If you are neither carrot nor egg, you just may be coffee beans.  In boiling water, coffee actually changes the composition of the water around it for the better (in most people’s opinion).  The fragrance and flavour of the beans infuse into the water.  From this we learn that life’s experience may be used to help us change for the better, learn how to improve situations, and change/ imporve the world around us.

(God of all comfort) who comforts us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God.  2Cor. 1:4 NKJV



       For me, I think I’ve finally become more bean-like instead of carrot-like, only I prefer to be cocoa beans instead of coffee beans! J  Scripturally speaking about trials, we are told that adversity produces perseverance, builds character, and increases our hope (expectation- trust) in God.  From life's adversity, I have changed.  Parts of that are negative, but the greater part is positive changes.  I trust the Lord more, and it is a real, deep down trust instead of the surface trust I used to live with.  I know who I am because I am certain who He is, what He has done, and how much He loves me.  Adversity causes us to grow.


And not only that, but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance; and perseverance, character; and character, hope. Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts  Rom. 5:3-5 NKJV
is your life full of difficulties and temptations?  Then be happy, for when the way is rough, your patience has a chance to grow.  So let it grow, and don’t try to squirm out of your problems.  For when your patience is finally in full bloom, then you will be ready for anything, strong in character, full and complete.  Jm. 1:2-4 TLB

 
So, when adversity boils around you, how do you react?

Are you a carrot, an egg, or coffee beans?