and the One who walks with me on it.

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Who’s Worried?


       In the first hour:  “Where was hubby?  Oh, maybe he’s late because he was talking to someone and then he stopped at the store.”  The second hour:  “Hmmm... I wonder if something went wrong with the van.  Maybe he’s stuck at work or at a store and can’t call home for some reason.”  The third hour:  “Okay, where is he?  He’s never this late, especially after the midnight shift.  Did he have any health problems after all he’s diabetic and had a heart attack in 2010?  What if something really bad happened?  I just wish I knew what was going on.”  Not long after, hubby walked through the door and had a very logical reason for having stayed out later than usual.


       1998ish- It’d been about a week, and my mom and I were on a driving vacation in Texas.  The scenery was great and I was enjoying myself, although constantly concerned over what could go wrong- especially with an old vehicle- AND my mother.  Would the van hold up or experience a break down?

       Unfortunately, my mom is not good with unplanned circumstances, or problems that occur in unfamiliar territory.  Driving down a long and hot country road I heard a bang, and the car pulled to the right.  Getting off on the shoulder I checked the vehicle and found a blown out tire.  We emptied the trunk (a necessity), changed the tire, and continued on our journeyto the nearest tire store.

       In both cases I was a little concerned, troubled, anxious, or worried, whichever word you would use.  In the first case, all my worrying did nothing but contribute to disturbing my peace and joy, while keeping my mind on things opposite to Php. 4:8 (true, honest, just, pure, lovely, of good report, virtue, praise) of which we are to think on.  Basically, it was all for nothing in the first case, because my hubby was safe and sound and all was fine.  Actually, it was all for nothing in the second case as well.  Worrying didn’t change the fact that something DID go wrong and needed to be dealt with.

So never worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.  Mt. 6:34 ISV

       Worrying about tomorrow serves no useful purpose other than to worsen our day today- for no reason.  What’s gonna happen is gonna happen, worry or not.  So how do we stop ourselves from worrying?  Basically, worry is a lack of trust- in God.  If we fully trust God to take care of us and our families (1Pt. 5:7), if we truly believe He is out for our good (Ps. 73:1), and if we trust (Pr. 3:5) no matter what happens, He will help us through and be with us in it (Is. 43:2,3), then we will not worry most of the time, and those times we do, we will remember to give it to Him.

Throw all your worry on him, because he cares for you. 1Pt. 5:7 ISV
In nothing be anxious; but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall guard your hearts and your thoughts in Christ Jesus. Php 4:6,7 ASV

Thank You Lord that You never leave us alone in the troubles of this life, but You walk with us through them day by day.  Help us all to trust You more!