and the One who walks with me on it.

Friday, June 01, 2012

A Sticky Treat

       My stomach was saying I wanted a little snack, but my head was saying I didn’t want the same old stuff, so I kept that in mind as I searched the cupboards.  Cookies, chips, fruit, cheese, veggies, crackers, really nothing appealed to me up until I spotted the peanut butter.  I grabbed a soup spoon and scooped out a large portion of it, and skimmed some into my mouth with my lips like I do ice cream.  There is a particular way I eat peanut butter on a spoon and it’s a little at a time always keeping it smooth looking.

       As I walked out of the kitchen I was pondering the many times as a child and an adult I fed a little peanut butter to our various dogs to watch them lick and lick again the roof of their mouths to eat it all.  The butter would stick up there for a long time and it would take quite a while before they could stop licking which made it kind of funny to watch.  That got me thinking about the Word of God, and wouldn’t it be nice if it stuck in our mouths the same way? 
Think about it…

       What if every time you went to curse an inconsiderate driver, a blessing came out instead?  Or perhaps when that ‘slow’ patron in the check-out line is frustrating you, you whisper a prayer instead of complaint?  Or maybe after a horrible day at work, when you get home to a spouse making demands on your time, you speak words of love or encouragement?  Perhaps the next time a struggling friend needs help you actually remember and speak the words from scripture that ease his pain and strengthen his weak hands? 

How sweet are thy words unto my taste! yea, sweeter than honey to my mouth!  Ps119:103
(Jesus) …the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.  John 6:63

I think we need the Word of God to stick in our mouths like peanut butter.  After all, those words give life and are sweet to the taste!  We should want them to stick there so that we can speak them to others around us to encourage in their walks and to faith in the Lord.  Remember, our words say a lot about us:

for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh.  Lk. (or- Whatever is in the heart overflows into speech. TLB)
But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison. Therewith bless we God, even the Father; and therewith curse we men, which are made after the similitude of God.   Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.  Jm. 3:8-10

       So the Word should be a big part of everyday.  We need to hide it in our hearts (Ps. 119:11) because it will help us lead godly lives.  It brings light to our paths so we can see the way (Ps. 119:130) and helps us live in truth (John ) instead of darkness.  “…the word of our God shall stand for ever” (Is. 40:8) and not one little bit will fail, ‘til all be fulfilled (Mt. ).


Lord, may Your Word stick in our mouths today!