and the One who walks with me on it.

Monday, May 28, 2012

Dead Battery

        Few things are more humbling than having your car break down while other people are watching, and that was potentially an issue for me last night.  Click Click... Silence.  No activity at all.  I accidentally left the lights on- for less than an hour- but it killed the battery.  Once I shut everything off, I gave it a ten minute wait, and still couldn’t get it to start.  Gratefully, the parking lot was devoid of people, so I called hubby who came to my rescue.  (See, I told you he loves me!!!)

       After he arrived on his white horse (okay, blue with horsepower…) I began hoping no one would be watching us because I didn’t want to face those questions like: what happened, why’d you leave the lights on, why did you even have them on, etc.  Hubby ‘saved the day’ and I was able to keep hidden my forgetfulness once more.  (So I am choosing to believe… please don’t tell me if you know otherwise.)  Today, I am facing the question, why did my battery run down so fast? 

       Well, we don’t really know when this battery was put in the vehicle as it is new to us.  Certainly, it could be old and needs replacing, but regardless, it isn’t holding a charge like it should.  Sometimes we don’t seem to hold our charge very long either.  We go through our daily routine and the body gives out and needs a rest.  We all know the signs of needing physical rest, but sometimes we neglect rest for our spirits.  Sure, some of that will happen when we rest our bodies in ways that we enjoy, but the greatest and fastest way to recharge is getting in the Lord’s presence- face to face.  It’s like plugging in to the ultimate power source.

But if from thence thou shalt seek the LORD thy God, thou shalt find him, if thou seek him with all thy heart and with all thy soul.  Dt. 4:29
The LORD is good unto them that wait for him, to the soul that seeketh him.  Lam. 3:25

       Jesus understood about the ultimate power.  After a long day of teaching and healing, with a good night’s sleep, scripture says, “And in the morning, rising up a great while before day, he went out, and departed into a solitary place, and there prayed.(Mk. 1:35)  Jesus went off to spend time with the Father and left a large chunk of time to do so.  He wasn’t going to rush it through.  He didn’t say, “Okay Father, I have 15 min. before I have to get to work, so let’s spend some time together!!!”  He rose up with a long time available for God.

       Daily activities drain our energy, and we often leave the dregs of our days to the Lord instead of the firstfruits.  But how will He strengthen us and recharge our spirit if we don’t spend time with Him- without distractions!  As a mom, distractions are the most difficult part so I must find a quiet place to recharge with the Lord.  Worship, prayer, reading the Word, and two way communication are all essential, but the thing I most try to remember is entering His presence where all my attention/ focus is on being with Him- first.  That is what makes the difference, and what recharges me completely so I can do the work He has called me to do.


Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.  Ps. 16:11
My soul melteth for heaviness: strengthen thou me according unto thy word.  Ps. 119:28
Having therefore, brethren, boldness to enter into the holiest by the blood of Jesus, …Let us draw near with a true heart  Heb. 10:19,22