and the One who walks with me on it.

Friday, June 08, 2012

God’s Calling

       This morning I was imaging what would have happened to me if I were born in a communist or Muslim country and had become a Christian.  Certainly, there is still persecution of Christians all over the world, in some places worse than others, and some of our brothers and sisters face death every day while we do not face those issues.  Paul wrote about magnifying Christ in life or in death.

According to my earnest expectation and my hope, that in nothing I shall be ashamed, but that with all boldness, as always, so now also Christ shall be magnified in my body, whether it be by life, or by death.  For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.  Php. 1:20,21

preach-teach by whatever means available!!!
       ‘For me to live is Christ, and to die is gain’: of course dying is gain because we all want to be there face to face with the Lord especially in our new disease free, healthy bodies.  As I’ve said before, for me the challenge is living for Jesus.  It means every morning I have to wake up knowing I can’t be with Him the way I want, and that I’ve got to give great effort to crucify self, surrender my own will, and follow Him.  If I’m honest, some days I think dying for Him would be easier than living for Him.

       The Lord has called me to do certain things.  The first problem I face is me, my fears and concerns about failures, and my flesh wanting to ignore the call or find excuses not to do it.  Even if I manage to deal with those issues, then I face other people who don’t necessarily believe in God’s call for me.

       For instance; there are many people who believe women are not to teach/ preach the Word of God and I am a woman!  They base their belief on what they believe is correct interpretation of scripture so how can you fault them for trying to follow scripture.  But some of them consider a woman who teaches the Word to be a heretic, and so totally dismiss anything they say and-or speak/ write against them.

       Even bypassing the whole woman issue, then one must face the general offense of the public for anyone who dares to teach/ preach the Word of God.  So, one who preaches can expect disgusted looks, discouraging words or insults, ridicule, and experience avoidance.  Of course there are those who ‘know better’, ‘interpret more accurately’, ‘have more experience’, ‘are better at doing the job’, etc.  Why is it ‘man’ is so eager for or so easily falls into critiquing?

Wherefore I put thee in remembrance that thou stir up the gift of God, which is in thee by the putting on of my hands. For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.  2Tm. 1:6,7
And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.  Mt. 10:28

       Then there is family and friends who know you and all your flaws and think those faults should prevent you from fulfilling your call, after all, if you still have failings and you teach the Word, doesn’t that make you a hypocrite?  So, even though we live in a ‘free’ country, there are still hurdles to face in obeying God’s call in your life.  Whatever we face, we are told to teach/ preach the Word to the world.  How else will they hear the words of salvation from death?

For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.  Rom. 1:16
Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.  2Tm. 4:2
But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.  Acts 1:8  (witnesses speak of what they know!)
And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.  Mk. 16:15

Let’s all live for Jesus Christ today, boldly telling others the gospel unto salvation!