and the One who walks with me on it.

Monday, May 14, 2012

I could have missed it…

       As usual, I needed to ride my bicycle to church to work in the library yesterday.  Typically I will listen to worship music and sing along interspersed with communication with the Lord.  That still small voice inside told me to leave the music alone and ride in quiet with Him instead.  What, no music!!!  That is kind of like telling a talkative person not to speak because I love music that much, so of course as I began to ride, songs kept coming out and I’d have to stop myself.  It wasn’t until the second road in the route that I realized what I was missing because of my inability to just be present in the moment with all my faculties.

       Finally, I looked around- really looked and saw how much the morning was full of beauty and serenity. Birds were singing their cheerful songs and enjoying their flight through the crisp air.  Bunnies were hopping around finding leaves to munch on and terrain to explore.  Many squirrels were enjoying the morning while nibbling their snacks between their tiny paws.  And I almost missed it all- the simple beauty of the morning and the quiet voice of my Savior.

       I guess I’m wondering now how many other times I missed what God wanted me to enjoy simply because of my plans and desires getting in the way.  How many times do I miss seeing the beauty or feeling the joy in one moment because my mind is wandering to my own matters?  The Lord made this world for us, and made us to be in communication with Him.  Perhaps we need- I need to remember that so I don’t miss it...

And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good… Gen. 1:31
The hearing ear, and the seeing eye, the LORD hath made even both of them.  Pr. 20:12
O Jehovah, how manifold are thy works! In wisdom hast thou made them all: The earth is full of thy riches.  Ps. 104:24ASV
The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Ps. 19:1
All thy works shall praise thee, O LORD; and thy saints shall bless thee. Ps. 145:10
Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.  Rev. 4:11

But ask now the beasts, and they shall teach thee; And the birds of the heavens, and they shall tell thee: Or speak to the earth, and it shall teach thee; And the fishes of the sea shall declare unto thee. Who knoweth not in all these, That the hand of Jehovah hath wrought this, In whose hand is the soul of every living thing, And the breath of all mankind? Job 12:7-10 ASV