and the One who walks with me on it.

Friday, April 06, 2012

Keep Moving Forward

               If you can't fly then run,
                          if you can't run then walk,
                                    if you can't walk then crawl,
               but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward. 
                                    Quote- Martin Luther King Jr.

       Good Friday is the day we observe the Lord Jesus’ death every year.  I imagine that Jesus understood the meaning behind this quote as He walked the ‘road’ to Golgotha/ Calvary, His body exhausted, beaten and bloodied, aching and torn, an innocent man condemned for another man’s guilt (ours).  Though it is not recorded, I imagine He struggled significantly to walk especially at first as He carried the heavy weight of His cross.  Then, after another man was conscripted to carry it, Jesus was still severely weakened yet had to continue walking the rest of the possible half mile.

       What kept Him going, moving forward?  The Bible said, “…for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame…” (Heb. 12:2)  What joy is that?  The joy of knowing mankind could be saved- because of His death and resurrection- kept Him going.  How far would you walk in a similar condition to save your children, let aone the world?  You would be quit determined despite the weakness and pain.

       As Jesus persevered in walking to His prophesied future, we also need to keep moving forward no matter how difficult it gets, how much pain and sorrow we face, or how weak our bodies or minds are.  Jesus said, “…If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.” Luke   So as Jesus kept ‘the joy’ before Him, we need to keep our ‘goal’ in mind to help us focus on taking that next step. Our goal is eternal life (Rom. ) with the author/ leader and finisher/ completer of our faith, that is promised for those who accept Christ.

But… we have to keep going, moving forward.
              One more step… then one more… then one more…

I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith: Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness… 2Tm. 4:7,8

It's not that I have already reached this goal or have already become perfect. But I keep pursuing it, hoping somehow to embrace it just as I have been embraced by Christ Jesus. Brothers, I do not consider myself to have embraced it. But this one thing I do: Forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I keep pursuing the goal to win the prize of God's heavenly call in Christ Jesus. Php. 3:12-14 ISV

       None of these words are easy words: fight, pursue, and strain.  They require effort and determination- perseverance despite the opposition.  Why was Paul willing to put in so much effort?  He wrote about Jesus Christ, “That I may know him (absolutely)…” Php. 3:10  To know Christ and have the hope of eternal life… those sound like two of the greatest reasons to keep moving forward, by whatever method of travel we can!  There could be no greater gift than our Lord, forever.