and the One who walks with me on it.

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Refiner’s Fire

       The warmth of the fire came in waves and wrapped itself around my body like a well used comforter and my eyes closed to enjoy a few moments of quiet.  You could hear the crackling and hissing as the wood burned and I opened my eyes to enjoy the view again.  Few things in life are as relaxing as sitting close to a fire and watching it burn.  The brilliant colours drew my interest and the dancing of the flames held it there.  Eventually, my feet perched on the rocks by the fire became too hot to leave there and I pulled them back.

       You see, there is a well known and understood fact: the closer you get to a fire, the hotter it is.  That seems kind of basic, but important to know so you can avoid being hurt.  However, I find one fire irresistible of which I am drawn to as a moth drawn to the light: God, our refining fire.

But who may abide the day of his coming? and who shall stand when he appeareth? for he is like a refiner's fire, and like fullers' soap: And he shall sit as a refiner and purifier of silver… Mal. 3:2,3a
And I will bring the third part through the fire, and will refine them as silver is refined, and will try them as gold is tried: they shall call on my name, and I will hear them: I will say, It is my people: and they shall say, The LORD is my God. Zec. 13:9 
But he knoweth the way that I take: when he hath tried me, I shall come forth as gold. Job
Take away the dross from the silver, and there shall come forth a vessel for the finer. Pr. 25:4 

       God is like a refiner’s fire who burns the precious metals (us) using the trials of life in order to remove the impurities.  Now, I’m not trying to say I’m purified (not yet L ) but I’ve surely had a lot of dross removed with more to go.  What I am trying to say is I don’t mind being in the fire if the fire is my Lord.  I have found warmth and comfort right in the midst of Him. 


Oh my sweet Fire, burn in my heart.  Cause all the dross in me to bubble up and out so You can scoop it away.  Burn hot and bright in my life so that Your love shines out through me, because there are so many hurting people that need Your love.