and the One who walks with me on it.

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Sour Milk

       It was hot and I was so very thirsty that I poured myself a glass of milk from the pitcher making sure to check the date tag there to ensure it was not expired.  The date was fine and the milk poured out in regular fashion- no big white chunks or funny smell- so I chugged it down only to find it was vile tasting and sour before its time.  Barely keeping my stomach from upchucking, I ran to the sink and rinsed out my mouth with water several times.  That was the last time I drank milk without tasting a small bit first.

       Things can look all right, they can even smell all right, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t something very wrong.  That is why as Christians we are to have discernment. 


But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil. Heb.  
Then shall ye return, and discern between the righteous and the wicked, between him that serveth God and him that serveth him not. Mal.  
Is there iniquity in my tongue? cannot my taste discern perverse things? Job  

       We should have a strong sense of ‘uh oh’ anytime we come upon works of unrighteousness, not just blatant ones, but those which include works of man in his pride, selfishness, a desire to ‘succeed’ at all costs and other such nonsense the world is okay with today.  Even a ‘religious’ spirit who longs for the status of a ‘spiritual’ man/ woman should be ‘seen’ by the discernment God gives his children.  I guess knowing your Bible, and knowing intimately the God of the Bible helps.

       Take care in all you read and hear, for the time is short and many will deceive whether intentional or by lack of knowledge.  Check the Word for yourself- make sure what you are hearing is in context to the passage- even in blogs like this one.  Keep your eyes open to what is going on locally and in the world.  Remember to use discernment at all times.