and the One who walks with me on it.

Sunday, January 08, 2012

Are You Crazy?



       We pulled up into an asphalt parking lot, parked our little, brown Chevette and walked up to the front gate.  In typical fashion, Albert wouldn’t tell me what the place was, but there on the sign at the entry it said Minter Gardens*: daily $8, seasonal @#&.  My first question was, “We’re here to see a garden?” to which he calmly said, “Yes.” I thought to myself, why would anyone want a seasonal pass to a garden.  My second question came quickly… “We’re paying $8 to see a garden.  Are you crazy?” 

       Obviously this was my first experience visiting a real garden.  In my mind I was imagining walking in someone’s nicely landscaped back yard.  Big whoop!  Prepared to be horrendously bored, I entered through the gate and sauntered down the path, a little angry at the waste of money.

       What I saw that day was one of the most beautiful places to spend time.  We walked through several themed areas of the garden, each one with its own loveliness and hidden treasures.  After viewing it all, I decided a season pass would be well worth the price to locals who could visit frequently and enjoy the serenity inherent there.  (Many went there to read or eat their lunches.)

       Thinking back, it makes me wonder about the garden God planted for us on the earth.  It must have been breathtaking in beauty, and a pure place of peace with wondrously abounding life.  Would God have done less?  And Adam and Eve lived in that perfect place every day among an interesting variety of plants and animals.

       Still, the best part about the garden was the company.  It was there among the beautiful gardens they physically walked with the Lord Himself.  Notice, they knew who showed up and weren’t frightened by the unknown, therefore, they were used to the Lord’s presence in the garden and hearing His voice.

And they heard the voice of the LORD God walking in the garden in the cool of the day: and Adam and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the LORD God amongst the trees of the garden.  And the LORD God called unto Adam, and said unto him, Where art thou? Gen. 3:8,9


       How wonderful it must have been to walk with the Lord in the garden, chatting about life, the world and getting to know Him.  I’m just a bit jealous! J But I know the day is coming when I will be with Him physically in a place of perfection and beauty beyond description. (John 14:1-3; Rev. 21,22)  And the best part for us on this side of the cross is we can walk with Him every day, all day, for He is with us (Mat. ) and has sent His Spirit to be with us forever. (John 14:16)



Thou causest me to know the path of life; Fulness of joys is with Thy presence, Pleasant things by Thy right hand for ever! Ps. YLT

Thank you Lord!


*Minter Gardens is in Chilliwack, BC