and the One who walks with me on it.

Thursday, August 25, 2011

A Breath of Fresh Air

       It was a great day today for I got to see two of my excellent friends that I hadn’t seen for weeks.  I love their spirits; they are beautiful from the inside out and they shine the light and love of the Lord into my life.  One visit was planned, and the other was a surprise, but both were like a breath of fresh air.

       “It is not good for man (lit. mankind) to be alone,” God said. (Gen. 2:18)  We weren’t meant to be alone, and even though Adam had God, the Lord wanted him to have companionship of others like him.  As I observe society, it seems that women have a greater need for friends than men, or is that just the way it has developed?  Either way, I enjoy having many friends in my life and wouldn’t choose to live any other way.


       So I sit here pondering friendship.  I believe in being friends with anyone willing (1 Thes. 3:2), but most stay at the acquaintance level.  Closer friendships go through levels of trust as time goes on.  The safer we feel with each other, the closer our friendship will be.  These are what I feel are important factors in close friends:

       1. They are honorable people of integrity.
       2. They accept and love me for who I am.
            -(I can be a little different...)
       3. They are loyal.
       4. They accept and love me for who I am.
            -(I can be a little annoying...)
       5. Its reciprocal- both putting in effort.
       6. They accept and love me for who I am.
            -(I often talk too much and unintentionally lack hospitality...)
       7. Did I mention?  They love me despite my flaws.

       Biblically speaking, these factors can all be found in the Word. 
(1. 1 Chr. 29:17; Phil. 2:3,4; Pr. 22:4; Ps. 25:21; 2 Tim. 2:22b) 
(2.4.6. 1 Cor. 13; Rom. 12:9,10; Rom. 15:7*)
(3. Pr. 17:17; David & Saul- 1 Sam. 24:6-10; 26:6-16; Pr. 18:24**; Ruth)
(5. 1 John 3:18; Rom. 1:12b; 1 Thes. 5:11;   1 John 4:7; 2 Cor. 8:8b) 
(7. Eph. 4:2; Pr. 17:9; 1 Pet. 4:8; 1 Cor. 13:7; speak truth in love- Eph. ,25;)

       Amazingly, I have found some great people who meet these factors in my life and I am thankful for every one of them.  I hope and pray I will be as good a friend to them as they are to me- and that we will remain friends for all eternity (if they can put up with me that long! J )  May our companionship provide lots of laughter, love, encouragement and support.


Friends are like a breath of fresh air.  Make sure you get enough fresh air today.



*John This is my commandment, that ye love one another, even as I have loved you.
How does God love us?
(John 15:9; Rom. 5:8; John 3:16; Eph 2:4,5; Ps. 139:14-18; Luke 7:34; John 15:13 to 15- Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.  Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you. Henceforth I call you not servants; …but I have called you friends; KJV)
**There are ‘friends’ who pretend to be friends, but there is a friend who sticks closer then a brother.  TLB