and the One who walks with me on it.

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Am I Important?

       How do we measure our importance?  In reality, we cannot for we cannot see every impact we have on this world, the people in it, or in the spirit realm.  Yet we know logically that each and every one of us is important just by the fact that God allowed us to be born- at a specific time and situation in this world. (Eph. 2:10)  Placing too much emphasis on feeling these days, we postulate that if we do not ‘feel’ important, then we are not.  The truth is, God made you for His plans and purposes, whether ‘great and glorious’ in your eyes or other’s, or even if you remain in relative obscurity. 

       When I think of my past, I remember several things that helped me to ‘find’ the Lord.  There was a tract I was given, one particular picture in it that stayed with me ever since, being invited to VBS, a young girl singing Jesus loves me, none of them great and mighty acts, yet all significant in my journey.  In the same way, I cannot know whose life I am touching today with my words or actions, with my writing or my prayers, or in a multitude of ways I cannot conceive.

        You are important, essential to this world and God has a plan and purpose for you.  He even manages to use us when we don’t feel able, when we are down for the count, when we are hidden in the background, when we have sin in our lives, when we are still being selfish with our time and Him, and every other time in our lives we don’t think He can use us.  He’s God, He can do anything. (Job 42:2)  He even used a donkey to talk to a prophet, so I guess He can use us too. (Num. 22:28)  His plans will prevail. (Pr. 19:21)

       It is easy to get down on ourselves for our many failings and this leads us to believe we are failing Him.  The truth is the Lord can even use our failings for His glory. (1 Cor. 1:27)  Sure He prefers if we are living by the Spirit (Gal. ) and following Him completely (Num. ), but He also knows we are imperfect and He is willing to work with us the way we are.*  So, don’t give up on yourself.  Don’t give up doing ‘little’ things in people’s lives, because you never know how big an impact it will have for them.


Here this prayer, oh Lord:
Use me to change this world, in big and small ways, in happy or down times, where ever I am and with all whom I am able- near and far away.  Use me for Your glory, and I will relegate ‘my importance’ to the back shelf where I won’t be concerned about it, knowing that You will find opportunities for me to impact this life.  I surrender myself for Your use.  Amen



*Ps. 138:8  Jehovah doth perfect for me, … The works of Thy hands let not fall! YLT
                 The Lord will work out his plans for my life… TLB