and the One who walks with me on it.

Friday, July 15, 2011

Sometimes it’s difficult.

      I was trying to get into God’s presence, but it wasn’t working.  My mind was racing from one topic to another no matter how hard I tried to focus: car, dishes, sin, tired, studying, kids, food, vacation, cooking, and on and on.  I didn’t want to shut down my brain necessarily, but to slow it way down and focus on the Lord, but sometimes that is difficult. 

      Why is it so?  I personally think women have a harder time slowing down their brain because there are always a thousand things we remember need to be done and there is so little time to do them.  Our lives are filled with go here, do this, take them, buy this, clean that, fix it, make it, drive there and all the other verb usage that slowing the circular thought processes of our brain occasionally becomes impossible.

Be silent for Jehovah, and stay thyself for Him, (Ps. 37:7 YLT)
Rest in the LORD, and wait patiently for him: (Ps. 37:7 KJV)

      This verse talks about slowing oneself down long enough to wait on the Lord.  Another verse says, “Stand in awe, and sin not: commune with your own heart upon your bed, and be still.” (Ps. 4:4 KJV)  Be silent, rest and be still are the same Hebrew word and mean:  to be dumb, hold peace, quiet self, rest, be silent, keep (put to) silence, be (stand), still, tarry, wait.  We are to wait quietly on the Lord by slowing down our thoughts long enough to consider Him.  At times, that is easier said than done.

      Personally, I think my mind would become overwhelmed by life if I didn’t take the time to stop and be with the Lord who is the source of my peace, safety, joy and strength. 

I did place Jehovah before me continually, Because at my right hand I am not moved.  Therefore hath my heart been glad, And my honour doth rejoice, Also my flesh dwelleth confidently: (Ps. 16:8,9 YLT) or my flesh also shall rest in hope. (Ps. 16:8,9 KJV)

       The Hebrew word for rest here means to lodge or dwell.  That’s talking about us staying put in a place where Jehovah is before us, where we are not moved and our bodies dwell or live in His hope/ safety/ assurance/ trust.  He is our ultimate refuge, and somehow, we’ve got to make a way for ourselves to slow down and be still in His presence.