and the One who walks with me on it.

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

A Clear Record

      I’d been caught.  The verdict was clear.  Guilty as charged.  There, up on the computer screen, was the long list of charges against me with the ruling of guilty after each one.  The judge was determining my sentence.  He stated, “You are guilty of all these charges and will face imminent death.” 

      Suddenly my Lawyer stood up and said, “Your Honor, I would ask you to impute her guilty verdict and death sentence to me.”  My voice would not work and I wanted to say, “I am guilty but He is innocent; that wouldn’t be fair,” but nothing came out.  Instead, the judge readily agreed and pushed the delete button on the computer.  The screen once full of charges and verdicts was now clear as if nothing had ever been there.  My Lawyer was hauled away in cuffs to await His death sentence while I walked out a free woman.

      True story, only in my case, the Judge- Father God- imputed all my sin to my Lawyer- Jesus Christ- and gave Him my death sentence while deleting or clearing all charges against me.  Not one verdict of guilty remained the day I gave my heart and life to my Savior and Lord.  All of my guilt, each and every charge, was imputed to One who was completely innocent.

      Psalms 32:1, 2 says, “What happiness for those whose guilt has been forgiven!  What joys when sins are covered over!  What relief for those who have confessed their sins and God has cleared their record.  TLB

      Truly there was joy and relief when my Savior took away my sin.  My sins had burdened me down many years and led to unhappiness with life.  Now I find joy in the Lord no matter what is going on in my life or is happening around me in the world.  I can truly live because my record is cleared!

      So, can I live my life unconcerned of present or future charges?  Verse 6 of the same Psalm says, “Now I say that each believer should confess his sins to God when he is aware of them, while there is time to be forgiven.  Judgment will not touch him if he does.

      The message is simple; the message is clear.  We must continue to confess our sins often for He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and cleanse us from all unrighteousness. (1 John 1:9)  What greater relief in life can there be, than to have all our sins and guilt washed away!