and the One who walks with me on it.

Thursday, May 05, 2011

Behind the Mask

       It happened again today.  I was talking to a Christian lady I’ve known for years and I asked how she was only to hear the standard, “Oh, I’ve been fine.”  When she asked me the same question, I responded the way it’s really been, “It’s been a cr@#%y two weeks.”  “Well then,” she said, “it’s been pretty bad for me too.”

       What is it that keeps us from being honest?  I mean, if we think they don’t really want to know, we could try saying, “If you really want to know that will take some time.”  That way we give them the opportunity to decide if they have the time.  If it’s just in passing, a quick “I’m surviving; one day at a time; life’s been hard; pray for me; not too good; health’s a problem; etc.”  There are many answers we could give that would be more accurate.  Perhaps we are afraid of being judged for not doing well- after all, we’re Christians so aren’t we always supposed to be doing well?

       Now, while I realize the entire world seems to respond the same way, we Christians are not to be like the world.  We are supposed to share burdens with each other.  We are supposed to be honest.*  Instead, it’s like we hide the real us behind a fake identity.  I believe many Christians put on an “I’m okay because I have Jesus” face even though they don’t really feel/ think it at the time.  That is totally unnecessary.  God will love us and use our lives whether we are up or down, if we are sailing smoothly or struggling terribly, if we are feeling strong or miserably weak.

       So I say, let us start being honest in showing ourselves for who we really are and trust God to take care of us.  Let us take off the fake identity and reveal our true selves.  Someone has to make the first move to get out from behind the mask.




*Rom. 12:2- And be not conformed to this world:…
Gal. 6:2- Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ.
Prov. 8:7- For my mouth shall speak truth;