and the One who walks with me on it.

Tuesday, March 08, 2011

My Daughter's Cry

Her dark curly hair framed her tiny chubby cheeks as she stood in front of my chair staring up at me; so beautiful but far too young to be standing; then again, my precocious daughter always had to be early at everything!  Her big brown eyes flashed up at me, and the angry cry that came from her mouth let me know she was NOT happy.  Since I knew it wasn’t hunger or a wet diaper annoying her, as they had already been dealt with, there was only one thing left…

She wanted to walk.  (Ugh, not again, I thought covering up my reluctance with a smile!)

Amy had decided to forego crawling in favour of a speedier form of transportation- namely walking.  The problem was that she wasn’t quite ready to do it all on her own.  We parents were required to assist.  I turned her around, put out my two index fingers (which she hurriedly grasped) and stood hunched over to help.  Off to the races we went to get whatever it was she thought she needed, or just to look around with her curious persona.

Amy had found a way around her predicament of being unable to walk on her own.  She knew she could count on us for both strength and support, and trust us to keep her safe as she traveled on her journey of discovery.  We were there for her every step along the way.  (Eventually, she did learn to walk unassisted, and our backs were able to finally rest, J  but that was still weeks away.)

I still remember her cry for help; it’s the same one I utilize with my Father.  I don’t want to walk this journey alone.  I am not ready, nor do I ever want to be ready to walk this path without Him.  You see, when I am weak, He is strong, He is my Fortress and High Tower; I can lean on Him and trust Him to keep me safe* in this life that can be filled with treacherous terrain. 

Father, may we never think ourselves old enough to walk it on our own.  Help us to grasp tightly on to Your hands and never let them go.  Help us to walk with You, trusting in You to take care of us.  Remind us to ask for Your help when we need it.  Don’t let us go.  Please don’t ever let us go.


Lord, I’m holding on now…       so let’s go!



*Nahum 1:7- The Lord is good, a stronghold in the day of trouble; and He knows those who trust in Him.  NKJ
Ps. 144:2- My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust;…  KJV