and the One who walks with me on it.

Sunday, March 06, 2011

After the snow storm

       I really do love the snow- just not the cold weather that comes along with it.  Give me sunshine and warmth with snow falling only on the earth (not the sidewalks or roads) and winter would just about be perfect! J  I mean, God CAN do miracles, can’t He? 

One of the things I like best about the winter, besides tobogganing, is trees barren of leaves.  They are each so unique with branches reaching out in different directions twisting and turning in the sky.  Often after a snow storm I love to walk around (or drive if it’s really cold) and look at the snowfall on the trees.  It makes for interesting photos.

       Today I was noticing many trees had snow running all up the same northern side.  It kind of got me thinking about us, how after many snow storms of life (trials) we end up with part of us being left covered.  We frequently keep these parts sheltered because we don’t want to expose our vulnerabilities again.  So we keep that snow covering us facing north to avoid it melting and exposing us.  Not really the best way to enjoy life.

       Of course there could have been snow on the south side of the trees this morning, but with the sun shining brightly, it all quickly melted away before I got the chance to see it.  Seems to me any time we face the Son, He is able to do a work in us melting away the stuff sticking to us that shouldn’t be there. 

       Sometimes, for me, exposing my protected side to the Son is difficult because I’m uncertain what will happen next (can you say fear of the unknown…), but step by step I am learning deep in my heart that He can be trusted to protect all my sides; that no matter what is exposed, He brings healing, fills me with His love, and His peace* even while storms are raging around me.

And I find as my journey progresses that trusting in Him is what helps me enjoy this life.



* (using TLB)
Ps. 147:3 - He heals the brokenhearted, binding up their wounds.
Rom. – Who then can ever keep Christ’s love from us?  v.38a For I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from his love.
Philip. 4:7 - (verse 6 is about trusting God) If you do this you will experience God’s peace, which is far more wonderful than the human mind can understand.  His peace will keep your thoughts and your hearts quiet and at rest as you trust in Christ Jesus.