and the One who walks with me on it.

Monday, October 20, 2014

Scanning the Computer

       We are fairly cautious internet users.  We don’t download a lot of stuff and never open emails or links from people we don’t know- or suspicious ones from those we do know.  Most of the problems we get are from ad ware which is fairly easy to resolve.  Viruses, spyware, worms and trojans are things to beware for they can hijack your computer, corrupt data or even ‘kill’ your machine.  It’s scary stuff, especially since we can now keep terabytes of important/ personal information on our machines.

       Yesterday, it was time to upgrade my free anti-virus and it came in with next year’s date like a car.  As usual, when it was done, it wanted me to restart the computer to get it running properly.  That was a little annoying because I had work to do and didn’t have time to reboot.  I finally had time for the reboot and then it wanted to run a computer scan; nothing I wanted to do since it would slow down my work, so I put it off until today. 

Search me, O God, and know my heart; try me, and know my thoughts; and see if any wicked way is in me; and lead me in the way everlasting. Ps. 139:23,24
Wash me completely from my iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin. For I know my transgressions; and my sin is ever before me. Against You, You only, I have sinned, and done evil in Your eyes; ... Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean; wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Ps. 51:2-4,7,10

       King David was a man who was passionate about Jehovah, accomplished great feats, and made enormous mistakes.  But I think the reason God said, “…I have found David the son of Jesse to be a man after My own heart,…” (Ac. 13:22) is because David showed his love for God by his obedience to God’s will and his repentant heart.  He wasn’t content to allow sin to remain in him, not even those sins he didn’t know about.  “My sin is ever before me.” indicates that he lived a life of conviction, he knew that sin was against Jehovah and only Jehovah could wash him clean.

       So it was kind of like David realized the viruses, spyware, worms and trojans were constantly infiltrating his being and so he’d run (to) his anti-virus software (God) to scan, root them out and clean them up.  I think in that sense, we all need to scan for sin daily, constantly bringing what we know to the Lord for forgiveness, and asking Him to deal with that which we do not know.  For myself I usually ask the Lord to expose my unknown sin to me or others so that it can no longer hide in the darkness keeping junk between Him and me.  I don’t want ANYTHING of the dark between us anymore.  How about you?

If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. Jh. 1:8,9