and the One who walks with me on it.

Thursday, September 18, 2014

What Good is Worry?

       A couple of days ago I was walking with my neighbour down her lane which is used to run a marina business.  Needless to say, the boaters like their services such as power and water.  One of the boaters mentioned the water wasn’t working, “Is there a water leak or something?”  That was it.  Her mind was now on one thing.  “My basement is probably flooded,” since we didn’t see a leak along the way.  Though we walked quickly back to the house, it is a long lane way and nothing I could say or do would relieve her worry.

       I gave other possibilities.  I told her probabilities.  I reminded her that her worries don’t usually come to pass.  There was no way for me to calm her fears.  When we got back she was told there was an outside leak and the water was turned off until it could be fixed.  There was no flooding in the house.  It really made me think about those few minutes, how they stressed her body and mind, and accomplished nothing good.  “Heaviness in the heart of man makes it stoop…” (Pr. 12:25)  It didn’t improve her life one bit.  Of course then it reminded me of all the times I worried in the past…

And he said to his disciples, "Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat, nor about your body, what you will put on.  For life is more than food, and the body more than clothing.  …  And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life?  Lk. 12:22-25 ESV
Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. Jh. 14:27

       We know these verses but they usually don’t seem to help most of us.  Why is that?  In my opinion the problem is when we try to NOT worry it only seems to get worse because then we are thinking of our worries more often.  So what exactly can we do then?  Well, we can look to see what Scriptures say but often the applying of those verses comes down to trust in the Lord- and the more we trust Him, the easier it is to follow them.

So says Jehovah, Cursed is the man who trusts in man, and makes flesh his arm, and whose heart departs from Jehovah. Jr. 17:5
Blessed is the man who trusts in Jehovah, and Jehovah is his trust. Jr. 17:7
The righteous shall be glad in Jehovah, and shall trust in Him… Ps. 64:10

We can pray about the issues causing worry remembering that God is a God of peace
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God which passes all understanding shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. Php. 4:6,7
Continue in prayer and watch in it with thanksgiving Cl. 4:2


We can throw our burdens at the Lord’s feet.  That means we stop carrying them ourselves!
Cast your burden on Jehovah, and He will keep you; He will never allow the righteous to waver. Ps. 55:22
Therefore be humbled under the mighty hand of God, so that He may exalt you in due time, casting all your anxiety onto Him, for He cares for you. 1Pt. 5:6,7


We can share our worries with a friend.
Bear one another's burdens, and so you will fulfill the Law of Christ. Gl. 6:2

But God will be our Best Help.
I will lift up my eyes to the hills. Where shall my help come from? My help comes from Jehovah, who made Heaven and earth. He will not allow your foot to be moved; He who keeps you will not slumber.  Ps. 121:1-3 

We can force our minds to get off the worries ASAP and onto things which fall into these categories (such as God’s past blessings, etc).
Finally, my brothers, whatever things are true, whatever things are honest, whatever things are right, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report; if there is any virtue and if there is any praise, think on these things.  Php. 4:8


When I am afraid I will trust in You.
Ps. 56:3

And may the Lord of peace Himself give you peace always
in every way
2Th. 3:16