and the One who walks with me on it.

Thursday, September 11, 2014

Teens are Weird

       I’m not saying this is news to anyone, but teens really are weird today.  Here are only a couple reasons.  Apparently it’s not okay to look up a love interest’s address/ phone number in the phonebook (that’s stalking Mom!!!) but finding out their class schedule and what they do all week isn’t.  Another thing I find weird is they hold friendships but don’t seem to ask important (in my mind) questions to know their friends more deeply.

       I can’t remember how many times I asked my kids questions about their friends but they didn’t know the answer and said, “Mom, we don’t talk about those kinds of things!”  Well, what on earth do they talk about- unimportant nonsense?  Things have changed because when I was a teen, we talked about everything from light surface conversation to very deep and dark secrets of our lives.  How else do you get to know someone?  Lots of time, lots of conversation, lots of fun…

       Now, I am familiar with Sandra Bullock; I appreciate her talent, have seen lots of her films- some interviews, read about her, saw photos of her, and heard stories from others who learned things about her.  But I don’t know Sandra Bullock.  I don’t know her because I haven’t spent time with her, heard her thoughts, laughed, shared and lived some of life with her.

And this is life eternal, that they might know* You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent. Jh. 17:3
that I may know* Him and the power of His resurrection and the fellowship of His sufferings… Php 3:10
but let him who glories glory in this, that he understands and knows Me… Jr. 9:24
And we know that the Son of God has come, and He has given us an understanding so that we may know* Him who is true. 1Jh. 5:20
*know- ginosko- to know, to understand, to perceive

       Unlike the actor above, we CAN know our God because He IS with us (Js. 1:9; Mt. 28:20; 1:23; Is. 7:14).  And as I have found in all relationships, the more time I spend with the Lord (in His Word, in prayer, in quiet times with Him and as we walk this life together) the better I know Him.  Lots of time, lots of conversation, lots of fun…  Yup, we can have fun with the Lord.  And we can know Him better.  It won’t happen by osmosis, wishing, or even just going to church, but by our desire AND effort.  And it is certainly worth it!!!

       The Lord also promised Israel that they will one day know Him because they return to Him with their whole heart. 

I will even betroth you to Me in faithfulness. And you shall know Jehovah. Hs. 2:20
And I will give them a heart to know Me, that I am Jehovah; and they shall be My people, and I will be their God. For they shall return to Me with their whole heart. Jr. 24:7

Lord, we pray to You as Moses did. Help us to give great effort to that end:

Now therefore, I pray You, if I have found grace in Your sight,
make me see now Your ways, that I may know You,
that I may find grace in Your sight
Ex. 33:3