and the One who walks with me on it.

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Sadness

       There are so many things in this life that can bring sadness into our lives.  As parents, there are times our children are hurting and we can’t help them, they are making poor choices but won’t listen, their health is out of our hands as we stand by powerless, or they are going the wrong way- a path of hard knocks filled with pain.

       For me, one of the saddest times of my life was after my Dad died.  I was 28, it had been a bad year, and I had many regrets in that we never had much time together and I really didn’t know him well.  For days the tears came easy.  Everything that reminded me of him made my heart sorrowful.  Two months later I told my husband he needed to forget my birthday- I didn’t want any spoken or gifted reminder that my Dad wouldn’t be there to see me turn 29.

       It was a very distressing time.  I would go to his grave site and weep for what could have and should have been, pouring out my anger at him for allowing his continual absence due to work.  Was it really more important than me?  Why was it other people knew my Dad better than me?  Why was it I only heard a couple stories before he died?  “…by sorrow of heart the spirit is broken.(Pr. 15:13)  What do we do when it feels like we are trapped in an isolating sadness that permeates our being?

Cry to the Lord for He is near:
Jehovah is near all those who call on Him, all those who call on Him in truth. Ps. 145:18
Jehovah is near to the broken-hearted; and saves those who are of a contrite spirit. Ps. 34:18
In my distress I called on Jehovah, and I cried to my God; He heard my voice out of His temple, and my cry came before Him, into His ears. Ps. 18:6

Draw close to Him:
Draw near to God, and He will draw near to you… Jm. 4:8
Ho, everyone who thirsts, come to the watersBow down your ear, and come to Me; hear, and your soul shall liveSeek Jehovah while He may be found; call on Him while He is near. Is. 55:1,3,6
let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith… Hb. 10:22

Give our burdens to Him:
Cast your burden on Jehovah, and He will keep you… Ps. 55:22
Come to Me all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke on you and learn of Me, for I am meek and lowly in heart, and you shall find rest to your souls. For My yoke is easy, and My burden is light. Mt. 11:28-30
casting all your anxiety onto Him, for He cares for you. 1Pt. 5:7

Remember He already paid the price for our brokenness
       -He went through a lot Himself:
As many were astonished at you— his appearance was so marred, beyond human semblance, and his form beyond that of the children of mankind— Is. 52:14 ESV
Surely He has borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows; yet we esteemed Him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted. But He was wounded for our transgressions; He was bruised for our iniquities; the chastisement of our peace was upon Him… Is. 53:4,5
 
Healing is found in the Savior
and with His stripes we ourselves are healed. Is. 53:5
He heals the broken-hearted, and binds up their wounds. Ps. 147:3
Bless Jehovah, O my soul, and forget not all His benefits; He who forgives all your iniquities; who heals all your diseases; who redeems your life from destruction; who crowns you with kindness and tender mercies; who satisfies your desire with good; your youth is renewed like the eagle's. Ps. 103:2-5
"The Spirit of the Lord is on Me; because of this He has anointed Me to proclaim the Gospel to the poor. He has sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to proclaim deliverance to the captives, and new sight to the blind, to set at liberty those having been crushed, Lk 4:18 (also Is. 61:1)