and the One who walks with me on it.

Saturday, July 19, 2014

Quiet of the Dunes

       Lately I really long to camp at the Pinery again.  My favourite area is the Dunes because I enjoy the looks of the dunes, the area is close to the lake and there is one prominent dune I love to climb at night to bask alone in God’s presence.  This post was written about my first experience on our dune.  It was a special time for me with My Savior.  It is also a reminder for me to not get lost in the busyness of summer. 
  
*   *   *   *   *
        It was late and finally, the kids were tucked away in their sleeping bags in the tent along with Albert who was reading on our side.  It seemed the rest of the campground was asleep or very quietly sitting around their campfires because the stillness of the night called to me.  After letting Albert know I was going for a walk, I set off on a new adventure into unknown territory.  This was a park we’d never been in before, and I was just discovering all it had to offer.  Drawing near to some sand dunes, I heart the Lord whispering, “Come be with Me.

       Though my footing wasn’t sure, I managed to climb to the top of the dunes and there discovered an isolated area of natural beauty as mounds of sand opened up into the dark but starry sky.  In that quiet solitude, the Lord met with me, worship flowed out of me naturally, and the presence of the Lord was strong.  It felt like the Lord and I were the only two people in the universe that night.  What a precious time it was, and I returned to that place as often as I was able that week.

       With all the busyness of life, we sometimes forget to find that quiet place in our lives to meet with God and focus on Him alone.  Of course He is with us always (Mt. 28:20) and we ought to be communicating throughout our day, but there is a special connection made when we enter into a secret, quiet place with Him alone to be with one another.  Jesus Himself went out to a solitary place to meet with God (Mr. 1:35), and also taught His disciples to do the same (Mr. 6:31).  Sometimes, we just need to be still so we can ‘see’ God (Ps. 46:10).

       “Come close to God, and he will come close to you(Jm. 4:8 ISV).  The Lord will meet with us if we just take the time to be alone with Him.  If we read the entire Bible, we see how God attempted over and over to make a home where He could be with man, because He wants to be with us- “…that I may dwell among them…” (Ex. 29:46).  He is the Father who meets with us in the secret place (Mt. 6:6), and there His peace will envelope us (Is. 26:3) because our minds are focused on Him and not ourselves, our troubles or our desires.

For thus says the Lord God, the Holy One of Israel: “In returning and rest you shall be saved; In quietness and confidence shall be your strength..." Is. 30:15 NKJV

Rest,
Salvation,
Quietness,
Confidence,
Strength.

       These are great words, but in their purest form are found only in one place- in the Lord God.  We must find the time and place to meet with Him every day when we can focus on Him alone, setting aside all other concerns to be with Him.  My living room has become my ‘quiet place on the dunes’ where I meet with God, find rest in Him, and like the children of Israel on their journey, so is He with me on mine.

My presence shall go with thee, and I will give thee rest.
Ex. 33:14