and the One who walks with me on it.

Friday, December 20, 2013

Six Sons to Happiness?

          or Six Days to Christmas
 
       We tried to have children right away after we got married.  I knew everything I needed to know about conception and how to achieve it quickly, so when it didn't happen one year later, I went in to the doctor and forced him to test us.  Within a month we had the results- barring a miracle, we would not bear children.  Shattered dreams... and no miracle...
 
       Adoption also looked impossible- with most private lists closed to taking names, not fitting in to the requirements of countries we could afford, and most kids through Children's Aid were of mixed heritage so we couldn't get them either.  Years of grief ensued.  Leah must have felt just as shattered when she married Jacob.  Everyone knew he loved Rachel, but Leah probably thought he would learn to love her too.  Instead, he gave her one week and then married Rachel.
 
And Jacob served seven years for Rachel, and they seemed to him a few days, for the love he had for her. Gn. 29:20
And Jacob did so, and fulfilled her week. And he (Laban) gave him Rachel his daughter to wife also. (v.28)
(30)...He also loved Rachel more than Leah...  (31) ...Jehovah saw that Leah was hated...
 
       One week married and pushed away, despised.  That had to hurt.  Obviously he slept with her a few times, but I'm guessing he only did the minimum necessary by standards of the day.  Actually, one time Leah had to purchase a night with Jacob- with mandrakes, considered an aphrodisiac (30:16).  Two more sons produced to her husband, and Leah thought things would change... He would surely love her now, right?
 
Son 1- Now therefore my husband will love me. (29:32)
Son 3- Now this time my husband will return to me (34)
And Leah said, God has given me a good present. Now my husband will live with me, because I have borne him six sons... Gn. 30:20
 
       Six sons.  What man wouldn't be proud, honoured, and cherish that wife?  Leah named her last son Zebulun (exalted) because she probably thought 'finally my husband will exalt me' as important and worthy of love in his life.  Six sons would restore her happiness.  Six sons would fulfill her dreams of a loving marriage.
 
I hope that Leah eventually realized her joy and dreams could only be fulfilled in Yahweh.