and the One who walks with me on it.

Tuesday, December 03, 2013

Not Just for Joshua

       My son was asking me yesterday why I am always studying or reading the Word because he sees it those times he is home.  The truth is that I love the Word: there is so much in there that helps me in my daily life but also just some really interesting things.  Anyway, he wasn't understanding so I simplified it and said, I spend so much time in it because it contains the words of life.  Well, he didn't want to hear anymore after that!
 
        Yesterday though, I was reminded of that fact when the Lord brought me to one of my favorite passages, but brought out new meaning to me.  (How awesome is that- 2000 year old writing and all...)  He always knows just the right thing for the moment.  I was pondering once again His plan for my life when He directed me to this:
 
Have I not commanded you? Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.” Js. 1:9  NKJV

     -strong: strengthen, prevail, obstinate, be courageous, firm, resolute, bold
     -courageous: alert, courageous, steadfast mind, brave, bold, strong, determined
     -frightened: fear, dread, tremble, be terrified
     -dismayed: shattered or broken by violence or confusion or fear
 
       Sure this verse is for the big things God wants us to do, but now I think it is also how He wants us to live our lives- everyday.  When I was young I was so shy to speak to anyone that I didn't have many friends.  Had I been bold and courageous, thrown my fear and dismay aside, I would have enjoyed my childhood more.  Back to today, we are not meant to cower in a corner from life.  We are meant to remember that He is with us every second of every day, (yep, He's there watching even in the midst of our sin) and because He is with us, we have His strength to lean on.
 
       So we shouldn't hold back in doing right, speaking up, getting proper service, sharing, saying 'no', saying 'yes', trying new things, loving, etc.  We should boldly and courageously face this life, and banish (TLB) fear and dismay away.  For "There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear, because fear has torment..." (1Jh. 4:18), God is love (1Jh. 4:8) gives peace (Ps. 29:11), and it is His Spirit that dwells (makes His home) in us (Rm. 8:11).
 
       "...that the power of Christ may overshadow me. ... for when I am weak, then I am powerful (strong). (2Cr. 12:9,10)  We are strong enough to do anything God wants, not because of our own strength, but because of His power and that He dwells in us.  When I consider that He dwells in me, what do I have to fear?  We have 'the man' with the ultimate power backing us up. 
 
In applying this, I realize it will be done one step at a time, so by faith Lord, here I go...