and the One who walks with me on it.

Friday, July 26, 2013

When Bad Things Happen- Part 2



       No trial, adversity or temptation has happened to you but that which is common for mankind in general.  Somewhere, sometime others have gone through similar, same or even worse adversities, so don’t be surprised (1Pt. 4:12) for “…the same kinds of suffering are being experienced by your brotherhood throughout the world.(1Pt. 5:9 ESV)

       Typically, in my serious trials I would follow a pattern like this: just believe by faith (several months), name it claim it (never worked for me but I kept trying), pray dutifully ‘in faith believing’ (a few weeks), begging (a couple weeks), then grief, despair, and finally anger towards God for not doing what I knew He was able to do- for me.  What I didn’t understand is the sovereignty of God and that sometimes, for His own reasons, He chooses not to intervene the way we desire.

       God is on the throne and does as He pleases (Ps. 115:3), He reigns over all and the power is His (1Ch. 11,12).  “…for I am God, and no other is God, even none like Me, declaring the end from the beginning, and from the past things which were not done, saying, My purpose shall stand, and I will do all My pleasure;(Is. 46:9,10)  Does this mean it is His pleasure to cause us pain?  No, God is a loving God of mercy and grace.

       Certainly God disciplines us for we are His sons and He loves us (Hb. 12:6), but the troubles in this life are mostly due to sin in general.  The world is under the curse of sin, death and the devil (Gn. 3) and has been for thousands of years.

Therefore, even as through one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin, and so death passed on all men inasmuch as all sinned: Rm. 5:12
that the creation itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God. And we know that the whole creation groans and travails in pain together until now. Rm. 8:21,22

       So how do we survive all these hardships, trials and being pressed beyond what we feel we are able?  The answer is found at the end of 1Cr. 10:13- but with the temptation (also trial, proving (test), adversity, affliction, trouble- Thayer), God who is faithful “will make a way to escape, so that you may be able to bear it.

       We cannot bear it, were not meant to bear it alone, but with His help.  Notice the end says ‘that you may be able to bear it’, not that He would make it go away, fix it how we want, or answer our prayers the way we wish, but that we would be able to bear it because He is with us in it (Ps. 23:4), supports us (Ac. 20:32), and brings us through them (Is. 43:2), even when it takes years… 

     He gives us rest to our souls. Mt. 11:28-30
     He comforts us 2Cr. 1:3,4 and cares for us 1Pt. 5:7.
     No trial, temptations, afflictions can separate us from God’s love. Rm. 8:38,39
     Do not be troubled or fearful, He gives us peace. Jh. 14:27; 16:33
     He knows how to deliver the godly. 2Pt. 2:9
     He gives power to the weak, increases / renews strength, vigor, stamina. Is. 40:29-31

       The Lord knows us better than anyone else, He goes before us to lead and guide, behind us to watch our backs, His hand is on us (Ps. 139:2-5) and lifts us up (Ps. 30:1) when need be.  We are not alone!  All those times I pushed the Lord away when He wouldn’t do what I wanted caused me to suffer FAR MORE than I would have if I trusted Him to control my life and change me.  Peace, rest, comfort in the arms of my Father would have been far better to the torment I went through feeling all alone because I shut Him out.

       God allowed these things to remain in my life to change me “…knowing that the trying of your faith works patience. But let patience have its perfect work, so that you may be perfect and entire, lacking nothing.(Jm. 1:2-4)  This means complete and perfectly sound.  (He’s still working on me…)

       With God’s help we can become stronger through the trials, and in the process, become closer to Him, trusting, and leaning more on Him.  Finally, I see Him better for Who He is, not for Who I wanted Him to be or thought He was.

     And He’s amazing.
          And each day is better than the day before.
               And His love surpasses all my understanding.
                    And now I understand no matter what happens, I’ll be okay with Him
                          because ultimately He is good and wants good for me!!!

I don’t have to understand, I just have to trust Him (Pr. 3:5).

But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us.
   We are afflicted in every way, but not crushed;
   perplexed, but not driven to despair;
   persecuted, but not forsaken;
   struck down, but not destroyed;
always carrying in the body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be manifested in our bodies. For we who live are always being given over to death for Jesus' sake, so that the life of Jesus also may be manifested in our mortal flesh. 2Cr. 4:7-11

Thank You Lord for Your promise of the ‘restoration of all things’ that awaits us! (Ac. 3:21)