and the One who walks with me on it.

Thursday, June 06, 2013

The Light Came into the Darkness



(Jesus said) I am the Light of the world. He who follows Me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life. Jh. 8:12

       God can speak to us in many ways, and for me, one of the ways He occasionally speaks is through music.  At service on Wednesday we began singing ‘Here I am to Worship’ by Chris Tomlin, just the first couple lines, ‘Light of the world, You step down into darkness. Opened my eyes let me see.’  It dawned on me that it wasn’t just the darkness in the world that Jesus stepped into, but also the darkness in me.

delivering you from the people and the nations, to whom I now send you in order to open their eyes so that they may turn from darkness to light, and from the authority of Satan to God… Ac. 26:17,18
For He has delivered us from the power of darkness and has translated us into the kingdom of His dear Son; Col. 1:13
But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for possession, so that you might speak of the praises of Him who has called you out of darkness into His marvelous light; 1Pt. 2L9

       These Scriptures speak about man being in darkness under Satan’s authority until we are called out, our eyes are opened and we are translated into Jesus’ kingdom of light.  We all lived in darkness at some point.  For me, the darkness was mostly internal, but it was a deep abiding darkness, one I had no power to escape.  The Lord stepped into my personal darkness bringing hope and light into my life and changing me forever.

Whoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwells in him and he in God. 1Jh. 4:15
Do you not know that you are a temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwells in you? 1Cor. 3:15
I have been crucified with Christ, and I live; yet no longer I, but Christ lives in me… Gal. 2:20

       God, the Holy Spirit, and Christ are all mentioned.  God came to dwell in me.  Me!  Why would He want to come dwell in the disgusting filth that was me?  Sinner.  I was (and am still) a sinner (Rom. 3:23) yet He came to live in me, and still does today.

       “…He who follows Me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.(Jh. 8:12) Personally, I wouldn’t choose to live in filth, always feeling dirty, but He loves me enough to do that, and He has never turned His back on me, even when I accused Him of that very thing.   

Oh Lord, every day I understand more of Who You are and what You have done.  Thank You, thank You, thank You!


We have the victory because of You

In Him was life, and the life was the light of men.
And the light shines in the darkness,
and the darkness did not overtake it.
Jh. 1:5