and the One who walks with me on it.

Thursday, April 04, 2013

Too Many Buts



       I’m sure like any other teenager, my years were full of buts.  Go do the dishes- but mom, I’m reading.  Clean your room- but mom, I like it messy.  Drive your mom to the store- but I’m going to my friend’s?  Play with your cousins- but they’re so little.  Eat your liver- but I don’t like it.  Make some dinner- but I’m a bad cook.  Most of the time I was just trying to get out of things that I didn’t want to do, in favour of doing what I liked to do, but sometimes it was based in fear of embarrassment, imperfection, loss of reputation, or other fears.

       There are many people in the Bible that gave excuses as well.  Gideon excused himself from obedience because of his lack of status (Jd. 6:15).  Elijah excused his poor attitude on his belief that he was alone (1Kn. 19:10).  Jonah blamed his disobedience on God (Jn. 4:1,2).  Anyway, you get the picture.  The human, fallen nature is prone to using ‘buts’ for whatever purpose suits us, but when it comes to Jehovah, it is best to leave the ‘buts’ out.

       One very prominent man in Scripture is Moses, and most of us think quite highly of him- after all, look at the miracles of God he showed forth.  But Moses got off to a rocky start.  First off, though he knew he was a Hebrew (Ex. 2:11), he did not really relate to the God of his people.  And so it was at close to the age of 80, Moses met God in the desert of Midian.

And Jehovah saw that he had turned aside to see. God called to him out of the midst of the thorn bush, and said, Moses! Moses! And he said, Here I am.  Ex. 3:4
(God commissions him) And now go, and I will send you to Pharaoh, that you may bring forth My people, the sons of Israel, out of Egypt.  Ex. 3:10 (to 22)

The ‘buts’ of Moses… 
(with my thoughts on what could be behind the buts)

And Moses answered and said, But, behold, they will not believe me nor listen to my voice. For they will say, Jehovah has not appeared to you.  Ex. 4:1

Lord, but no one’s going to believe me so my reputation is on the line.  I don’t want to be embarrassed.  Besides, what will they think of me?  What if they ignore me?  What if this doesn’t work?
--God gives signs to Moses to use as proof

But Moses said to the LORD, "Oh, my Lord, I am not eloquent, either in the past or since you have spoken to your servant, but I am slow of speech and of tongue."  Ex. 4:10 ESV

Lord, I don’t have what it takes.  I’m not worthy.  I’m not good enough.  I don’t have as much talent as so and so.  I’m just a homemaker.  I never do anything right or I always mess things up.
God gives assurance --I am the Creator and will give you everything you need to do this job!

But he said, "Oh, my Lord, please send someone else."  Ex. 4:13 ESV

Lord, send someone else.  They’ll do it better.  I don’t want to do it.  I’m too afraid.  It seems too big for me.  Someone with more authority would be better at it.  I have responsibilities at home- a wife, kids. 
--Then the anger of the LORD was kindled against Moses…  (v.14)
--fine, I’ll let your brother speak for you


       Though Moses got out of some of the responsibility, I have to wonder what blessings he may have lost.  But  this post is about ‘buts’.  Buts used with the Lord are usually based on one big thing- lack of trust.  We don’t trust Him to pick the right person for the job.  We don’t trust Him to know us well enough and that we are capable.  We don’t trust Him enough to be with us through the difficulties.  We don’t trust His power to go with us, be in us.  We don’t trust Him enough to work through us.  We don’t trust Him enough with control over our reputations.  And we certainly don’t trust that He knows best.

Isn’t that sort of calling Him stupid? 
(very scary thought!!!)

We wouldn’t do that, would we?


Blessed is the man who trusts in Jehovah, and Jehovah is his trust.
Jer. 17:7